• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Burgess Excel Guide to Rabbites / Guinea Pigs

happybunny

Mama Doe
Has anyone seen the Burgess Excel Guide to Rabbits of the Guinea pig one?

They are small leaflets. My vet had them and while waiting ot be seen I had a read.

Some bits were good, rabbits and guine pigs hsould not be housed together, rabbits should be neutered to help them get on ect.

But there were 2 points in the guinea pig guide that I think is awful:

Housing - the hutch should be at least five times your guinea pigs length and at least a foot wide. you'll need to get a bigger hutch if you have more than one guinea pig. As a general rule: the more space the better.

Neutering - vets recommend that all guinea pigs should be neutered. It not only prevents unwanted pregnancies, it will also make your pets calmer and less aggressive.

At least it said the bigger the better :) Many hutches sold for piggies certainly aren't 5 times a piggy length :(

neutering for boars is certainly becoming more routine, I had my boars neuterd 8 years ago and they lived to be 7/8 years old. Not sure I would recommend all females to be done though. It is quite a big op for a little piggy although I know some people do have it done :)

Well a guinea pig is about 6inch long. 5 * 6 inches is 2.5 feet so it says a 2.5 * 1 foot hutch is acceptable for a single piggie.

Neutering has no effect on a guinea pigs behaviour so is not recommended apart from to stop pregnancies.

Neutering has no effect on a guinea pigs behaviour so is not recommended apart from to stop pregnancies.

so, if you neuter a piggie kept with only same-sex partners, you are risking the piggie's life for nothing

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

Last edited:

I don't agree with that. My neutered males were able to live much more happily together because they had been neutered. I also think that it prevents them becoming so impacted when they get older.

I don't necessarily agree re behaviour and I am for male neutering if he is to be placed with a female but I would never neuter a female unless her health was at risk.

(although I do understand why some rescues neuter females)

I don't agree with that. My neutered males were able to live much more happily together because they had been neutered. I also think that it prevents them becoming so impacted when they get older.

I agree my 2 males fought like cat and dog until I castrated them both, now they love each other to bits. You are also correct regarding the enlarged impacted anus syndrome common in entire male aged pigs

Well a guinea pig is about 6inch long. 5 * 6 inches is 2.5 feet so it says a 2.5 * 1 foot hutch is acceptable for a single piggie.

Oh im sorry i thought you said it said cage should be 5times longer than piggy.oh you are saying that-ignore me!:lol:

Last edited:
I would never spey a female pig just for the sake of it and only if it was to save the pig eg. babies stuck and need c/section or cysts or tumours in the womb . Intact boars can get along in large groups but they need lots of space ;) . I wished i was given a pound every time someone was told a boar wont get impaction if you neuter him ;) , NOT TRUE !

Back