• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help =( - Bunnies Drew Blood - U/D Back Together!

sidereus7

Mama Doe
My bunnies have been bonded over a month, and they've had no fights since the initial bonding process. Tonight, they have had three fights. The first one was just a lot of pulling of fur, the second one was more fur, and the third one resulted with Milo getting a cut on the top of his face near his eye.

I am so upset and I have no idea what to do. Do I separate the pair for the night? What is going on?

Please help. :cry:

Last edited:
I am no expert and hopefully others will advise but I personally would seperate for a few days then re introduce them on neutral territory and see how it goes.
Following a normal new bonding process.

Has anything changed to make them fight? Anything different at all you can think of?

Rabswood

Sorry I have only just seen this
Personally I always seperate Rabbits who have had a fight resulting in blood shed.

I hope they will both be OK.

I live in a small apartment, and I have two friends staying with me that the bunnies have never met. I'm thinking that the change in their normal environment has stressed them out.

Jane - Do you mean separate them forever, or would you attempt to rebond? There was just a small cut on Milo and lots of fur pulled. The thing is, my apartment only allows two animals, and I have no room or money for 4, and I would absolutely hate to have to give one of them up. :cry:

I think it could have been the change that made one of them territorial. Please don't despair, there are arguments on both sides as to whether you should rebond after a fight, some people don't even separate them.

Personally, I would separate them, at least until the wound heals, then I would attempt a rebond.

I'm currently rebonding my trio after a fight that led to one of mine losing half his ear. They have been separated for about 4 weeks. It's going well so far :)

I would separate them but would allow them to see and smell each other, without being able to get at each other; maybe using a dog crate or a puppy playpen. I would re-introduce them under observation. I have done this before and it worked for me. Good luck!

sorry, im totally unexperienced at breeding - but give Milo a big kiss and a cuddle from me, and I hope his little cut gets better soon! :(

Sheena x

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the advice.

Since my choice is either to give one up or attempt re-bonding, I'll have to go with the latter. Even if logic tells me to separate them, my heart won't let me do that without giving it at least one honest try. :cry:

They groomed each other inbetween the first and second fight. I just refuse to stop believing, as I love them both so so much. I was in tears all night.

I think I'll separate them for a few days entirely, then keep Milo is a NIC cube cage for awhile, and eventually try re-bonding when it feels right. I'm really hoping this works.

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

When you rebond do it on completely neutral territory and after the bond make sure you REALLY clean their quarters. I made this mistake last time I tried a rebond. Bonding went well, all grooming each other, all happy, put them back in their permanent room and the boys became territorial again.

If you are going to be in to supervise I would leave them together and supervise closely. You've said there has been a change that could of stressed them so they may settle when they get used to it. Did you see what triggered them eg food/fight over a box/litter tray if so you can remove them to minimise fighting.

I'm not sure that a few days apart is going to make any difference in the likely hood of a fight.

If they have been together that long and are still washing etc inbetween fighting I think that something else has triggered the fighting rather than them just not getting on any more. I would definately give it another go :)

If they have been together that long and are still washing etc inbetween fighting I think that something else has triggered the fighting rather than them just not getting on any more. I would definately give it another go :)

That's my opinion too. My three adored each other (and still do it seems, all currently in 3ft x 3ft pen grooming each other in the bathroom). I think only if it's a weak bond it's a bad idea to try them back together. My boy looks so much happier back with the other 2, I love it when he lowers his head under theirs for them to groom him! :love:

I think my problem was Wilm's a bit of a sex fiend and humped Gamst (another boy) one too many times when spring fever set in, lol! Poor Lene didn't know what was going on!

Good luck, I have a good feeling about your buns :)

Last edited:
Have you used any new products which may have resulted in the fights. Often if rabbits which have previously been happy start fighting there is a cuase and it is worth trying to find out what this is. A while ago I knwo someone who used some deep heat when the rabbits where in the area where this was used they would fight every where else they were fine.

I would keep them together if they can be supervised ensuring that you have a broom available to separate them if required and try and investigate if there is something which has caused them to kick off.

For those asking about change, I live in a studio apartment, meaning no bedrooms. The bunnies had two bases of operation, one in the bathroom and one in the living room. But I have two friends staying with me for the next two weeks, and I had to break down their NIC cube in the living room and replace it with a much smaller one, just to house a litter box and food. I started locking them both in the bathroom at night so they wouldn't binky all over my friends on the air mattress on the floor.

It was the third night that they were here that this fighting began, and it was around 2am. Luckily, I was awake, but I was just so shocked to see the blood drawn.

So maybe I'll just keep them together supervised, and then put one of them in a cage at night, so the other can still see. I think this may be my best solution until my guests leave.

Oh bunnies. :cry:

THe problem is because you reduce their territory, and they psychologically get annoy by the restrict space. No wonder this happens. So you have to fence them apart for the remaining 11 days.

What's a NIC?

Just posting a little update on my two boys.

The first couple times I reintroduced, there was a bit of chasing, but no fighting. I put Milo in a cage at night, and only let them play together when supervised.

They have been snuggled up and playing together just like before. :love: I let them stay together last night after a few days, and I woke up to find them snuggled next to the toilet. (What a lovely spot for a snuggle :roll: :lol:)

I am so glad that they seem happy once again, but I'm still keeping a cautious eye out. Hopefully we are back to business as usual! I am a very happy bunny mummy. :)

Back