• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

runs and grass

In looking at some of yalls housing and runs..some of it is not just out in the grass like you have stone or something down..reason im asking is i want to buy a shed and then have like a fence put around it in the front so they could have a play area.. but my concern i guess is fleas and them escaping.. do they dig a lot?? of course i probably would be supervising them while they are out.. but is it bad for them to be out in grass/clover? probably stupid question but i was just curious..

I have my buns runs on the grass. They have never tried to dig but for my new buns, collecting today!!, I have stapled mesh to the floor of the run and then put turf over the top. This way no one can dig out or in.

Some people have their runs on a paved area. I would if I had a paved area. I think that either way is great. Being able to be out in the run is more about exercise and space to explore than it is about being able to eat the grass.

The reason my lot don't have grass on the floor of their runs is that they totally trashed it, pooed and wee'ed all over it. They have wooden floors now, but are free range whenever i'm at home. If you have a run on grass mesh under the turf will keep them in and foxes out and a lid is essential unless you supervise them constantly for the same reasons :)

Mine have a moveable hutch and run on grass and they dig for victory! They go under an upturned plastic fish box and push the dirt out. They don't get down very far but in a couple of days they have a couple of pot holes. I'm lucky in that the grass is more like farmers field, so I just move them every 2 days to a new patch. It's amazing how quickly they trim it down. I just fill the holes in and mow then and it's not too bad.

Back