• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

it really depends hon on how much damage has been caused. Sooty was wee free after a week but he'd only had an active infection for a couple of weeks tops. Poor chloe lost sheyla after even after panacur treatment as too much damage had been done. i would hope you should see some improvement after a couple of weeks but very hard to tell.

Well, Rowans had EC for coming up to two years now. She's on Lapizole - which contains fenbendazole which is the same stuff in pancur.

EC has affected her kidney function so she's rather skinny, drinks and urinates alot. She's not ever put the weight back on, but she's not lost anymore over the past year. And I saw improvement in how much she'd been drinking an peeing after about a month - but there was bit of a yo yo effect, it'd go from improving to not as good then back again. Recently it's leveled off to somewhere inbetween.

This is just my experiance, as it has been said it depends on how much damage has been caused. But remember as Rowans shows a bunny can live a happy life with EC for a few years - in herself she hasn't changed at all :)

Is she a house bun or out doors? How often do you panacur? sorry for all the questions :)

No problem, I'm happy to answer any questions if it helps at all :)
Rowan is an outdoors bun and I put her on a 28 day course of Lapizole, give her a break of a week to two weeks, then put her on another course. But she has an active infection.

Do you know if doing this is safe in the long term?... my vets a a bit funny with stuff like this.

Well I was concerned about this in the begining as well, when I was informed that Rowan would need to take lapizole for life. I asked what the best way to manage this would be and there were two options really. Give long breaks inbetween courses of lapizole and try and control the EC. Or as some people do time the medication for periods when she's likly to be stressed as one line of thinking is that stress makes it worse. I opted for the first, and she's not suffered any ill side affects in two years - however all rabbits are different and it may not work for another bun.

When treating rabbits with EC it is really important that to ensure that the accommodation is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected on days 21 and 28 of treatment, at the RWF conference earlier this year they said that these were the days which were particularly critical in the regime to eliminate EC not just from the rabbit, but from the environment. If the envioroment is not thoroughly cleaned and discinfected the rabbit will become reinfected.

I knew I had to disinfect throughly, but I wasn't aware that there were particular days it would be more effective. This is something I will taking into account, thankyou for posting that :)

Well obviously you can't disinfect turf, but you can disinfect everything else. I have a spare fold up run that I put Rowan in when I'm disinfecting her hutch and everything. Just make sure the bun has everything they need to be comfy in the run - hay, water, toys etc, for while while you wait for everything to dry. I normally have to make a whole day of it as it can take ages for Rowans home to totally dry out.

How do I disinfect a turfed, barked enclosure? :shock:

If it is active EC the grass and bark will be infected by the spores, if it cannot be discinfected on day 21 and 28 the rabbits are likely to get reinfected with EC and treatment will not be affective.

It is not easy or ideal but could you dig out the bark and replace it, the same for the turf on day 21 and 28. Spores will survive in the enviroment at 22C for 4 weeks , although this time lengthens at lower temperatures, the other option would be to stop your bun having access to the bark or turfed area for a period which is in excess of the 4 weeks (as the temperature in our country at the moment is less than 22C).

That's going to be tricky and expensive, I'm not even sure if it is EC yet. And there's not really anywhere elsechr can go for over 4 weeks as the conservitory gets too hot. I'll speak to my vet about it.

If it is EC, is the hutch big enough to confine them to the hutch for a number of weeks to allow the grass to spores to die.

With situations like this compromise will be the key factor with space V reinfection needing to be taken into consideration.

Its a 6ft 2ft double hutch. the grass comes right up to it though... heres a picture:
3140_165252335374_591175374_6534645_4670101_n.jpg

Back