• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Liquorice isn't doing so well, any ideas?/ She has a tumour

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Liquorice is around 7 years old and until the last few months has been 100% healthy.

She needed a dental a month or so ago, she hadn't completely stopped eating but had slowed down and was no longer eating hay. She had really bad spurs right at the back which could only be viewed under GA.

After her dental she had a sore mouth for awhile so her eating didn't improve much. However a few weeks past and her eating had still not got any better. I took her for another check up and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. She was continuing to loose weight so I gave her extra meals of softened excel for a couple of weeks to see if it helped.

I weighed her this week and she had lost a tiny bit more weight she is now 1.3kg :( So I made another appointment for her. The day before she was dribbling from her mouth so i ask for an emergency dental. Once she was under they could find nothing wrong with her teeth. But as I had noticed her jaw was very slightly lumpy they took x-rays.

She does have very slight tooth root elongation but the vets didn't think it enough to cause the problems she is having :?

So we had bloods sent to the lab.The results came back today, she is slightly anaemic and her platelets are low. This could indicate a chronic condition but all major organs are working OK. The anaemia indicates there is some kind of internal bleeding so I now need to do urine and feacal samples to rule out bleeding from the bladder or bowel. I have put her on zantac incase she has stomach ulcers.

Depending on the sample results she may then need abdominal x-rays as the vets have said they can't rule out abscesses or tumours.

I was convinced it was just a dental problem to start with but the vets seem pretty certain she has other health issues :(

I am really worried now and it is going to take a while to get any answers as there is no point sending samples off until after the bank holiday.
Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? I know wild speculation isn't often helpful, but given that we have already got some results I wondered if anyone had experienced similar :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't know Liz I'm afraid - but sending lots of vibes for your brave wee girl & special nose rubs, hope she will be ok xxx

Sorry Liz, I've no clue about what t could be whatsoever but sending lots of vibes for little Licky munchkin. I hope you can get to the bottom of whats going on. Lots of noserubs for her and Revel x

Would it be worth giving her a dose of metacam for a few days to see if she is more comfortable and will eat hay.

She has been on metacam twice daily for the past week now and she will stillonly eat softened food, no veg or hay :(

Back