• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just Back from vets

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I've just returned from a visit to the vets with Flopsy. it all started this morning when I went to feed Flopsy and she seemed to be dragging her left leg. I picked her up and checked her legs and feet but culdn't see anything. When she was sitting she had her leg out to the side. By mid morning she was dragging her leg so i phoned the vets and got an appointment for tonight. As the day went on she seemed to be using her leg more. When i took her in the vet put her on the floor and she hopped normaly then the next time she did flick out her left leg. He thouroughly checked her legs and said that her left leg wasn't as responsive as her right. He has given her a metacam injection and persribed metacam. He is thinking shes either pulled something in her leg, She has nerve damage or arthiritis. I've got to see how she is in 5-7 days.

Has anyone else had a bunny with leg problems??/

Whilst your vet may well be right it is worth considering e.c. as a possible cause of dragging legs too. See how she responds to the metacam. It may be worth treating with panacur/lapizole just in case it is e.c. and if the problem doesn't clear up she may need xrays of the legs/hips/spine to check for signs of injuries/arthritis etc.

Hi,
I've just returned from a visit to the vets with Flopsy. it all started this morning when I went to feed Flopsy and she seemed to be dragging her left leg. I picked her up and checked her legs and feet but culdn't see anything. When she was sitting she had her leg out to the side. By mid morning she was dragging her leg so i phoned the vets and got an appointment for tonight. As the day went on she seemed to be using her leg more. When i took her in the vet put her on the floor and she hopped normaly then the next time she did flick out her left leg. He thouroughly checked her legs and said that her left leg wasn't as responsive as her right. He has given her a metacam injection and persribed metacam. He is thinking shes either pulled something in her leg, She has nerve damage or arthiritis. I've got to see how she is in 5-7 days.

Has anyone else had a bunny with leg problems??/

I think it might be possible that the symptoms are neurological rather than skeletal.
Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) is a protozoal parasite that can effect a Rabbits Central Nervous System.

Here is some info on EC

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

I would advise that your Rabbit is treated with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) aswell as the anti-inflammatory (Metacam).
I would ask you Vet about this tomorrow.

I think it might be possible that the symptoms are neurological rather than skeletal.
Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) is a protozoal parasite that can effect a Rabbits Central Nervous System.

Here is some info on EC

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

I would advise that your Rabbit is treated with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) aswell as the anti-inflammatory (Metacam).
I would ask you Vet about this tomorrow.

Snap!

We have quite a few bunnies here with hind leg problems. As others have said Ec can cause these problems so a course of panacur wouldn't hurt if she hasn't recently had one.

Many of our buns have nerve damage in their legs or spine which can be helped with Metacam.

How old is she?

Hopefully the metacam will do it's job if she has just pulled something and she will make a good recovery :)

Let us know how Flopsy gets on

Thanks for all the replies.

I will start her on a course of panacur. Flopsy is 4 years old. She is happy enough in herself and is eating etc as normal. I will monitor her and see how she gets on whilst on metacam.

4 years seems quite young for arthritis, hopefully she has just pulled something and it will sort itself out soon :)

Back