• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bulging eye?? now with pics..updated.

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
At the risk of seeming neurotic Jacks eye looks odd this morning....possibly a little inflamed round the edge and seems to be bulging a little I think but I cant work out if its just me looking too much at it....I'm going to monitor it and if it seems to be worse later I'll go to the vets.

What do eyes look like if theyre bulging?

Blimey I do sound mad asking that!

Last edited:

What do eyes look like if theyre bulging?

retrobulbarabscess.jpg

Well it doesnt look as bad as that...the rim of his eye looks thicker than it shoul and the fur at the top of his eye seems flattened and stretched if that makes sense....maybe I'll try to get a pic

Right heres some pics....this is the one I'm worried about

SS101395.jpg

SS101393.jpg

and for contrast this is the 'normal' eye

SS101396.jpg

this one was taken from above

SS101398.jpg

Neurotic or not??

Bit of an update......we've been to the vets,she doesnt think the eye is bulging and couldnt feel any pressure from behind the eye.

There is some conjunctivitis so hes got tiacil eyedrops and his antib's have been changed from baytril to septrin because he's very snotty still.

Hes also started on bisolvon.

Fingers crossed it will get better but I have to say he seems a bit sorry for himself at the moment.

It looks a bit like the fur around the eye was damp - that can make them look funny. It's amazing how much or a rabbits shape is just fluff :)

It looks a bit like the fur around the eye was damp - that can make them look funny. It's amazing how much or a rabbits shape is just fluff :)

I thought that but the fur isnt damp....the vet asked if Indigo had been overgrooming it but I havent seen any sign of her doing so.

Back