• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

recommended feed for young rabbit

becky d

New Kit
Hi, I have a 13 week french lop who I have been feeding Burgess supa rabbit excel junior and dwarf. He loves it but it seems to be giving him an upset tummy. Any recommendations for a good one to switch to?

thanks

not all that much as I've been trying to encourage him to eat hay instead - the pack recommends 80g a day for growing rabbits - i have been giving him something closer to 50g but he was underweight when I got him and he has so much growing to do that i'm worried about underfeeding him. He was on a different rabbit food from the breeder and fine on that, but i can't get it in my area so i gradually changed him on to this one (over 2 week period) and he's not really been happy on it. Quite a few normal poos, but there are a few runny ones there each day as well. I'm not feeding any veg as even tiny pieces of carrot seem to make him worse....

not all that much as I've been trying to encourage him to eat hay instead - the pack recommends 80g a day for growing rabbits - i have been giving him something closer to 50g but he was underweight when I got him and he has so much growing to do that i'm worried about underfeeding him. He was on a different rabbit food from the breeder and fine on that, but i can't get it in my area so i gradually changed him on to this one (over 2 week period) and he's not really been happy on it. Quite a few normal poos, but there are a few runny ones there each day as well. I'm not feeding any veg as even tiny pieces of carrot seem to make him worse....

aah okay then I'm out of ideas sorry lol someone more helpful should be along soon mine love science selective :) What age is he again? Because I think it's something like 15 weeks before you can introduce veggies.

thanks i'll wait for more replies - yeah i think you are right with veg - i was trying to keep his diet as close as possible to what he was having before he came here - but haven't given him any or any grass (house rabbit!) for a while either

I use Science Selective and Wagg Optinum mixed at the moment. Other good ones are Allen & Page and Bunny Basics T. Excel can cause sticky poos in some rabbits. Obviously you need to change over gradually over a couple of weeks.

Used a higher fibre food like hurricanhoney suggested (A&P, SS Or oxbow)
I use A&P but with my youngest i have now found that it gives her gas so im mixing it with the new excel in mature and so far she has been fine :D

Excel is now to cause problems in some rabbits as i found with my youngest(but shes got a few probs :roll:)
Hope you fnd something that suits your bunny :wave:

Supa Excel Junior and dwarf

Hi Becky,
We have a French Lop, Freddie, who is 13 months old and for the past 6 months has been on the same diet. He eats all the pellets and has had no obvious problems, but we had him weighed today and he is very light for a French lop. His target weight should be 5.5kg, and he is 4.4, so a significant reduction in weight to that expected.

His breeder, who knows more about French lops than I have forgotten, recommends Mr Johnsons Supreme, although we cannot get it in our area easily. That was not the reason for changing, we did so because he was feeding selectively.

I'm not sure what to feel about his low weight. I'm aware that large French Lops can be prone to weight related illnesses, so it could be good that he is not over-weight, but equally there is a concern about him being so far on the light side.

Incidentally he started eating vegetable matter at 12 weeks old.

I recommend this website as a breeder who is able to supply a lot of experience on this breed: http://www.rossrabbits.co.uk/

Back