• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating pellets for two days

Cynthia

Young Bun
Okay so i noticed that my rabbit has not been eating her pellets. I called the vet and they said that she may have a hairball to try feeding her pineapple or pineapple juice. Well she will not eat any of that she would eat some carrots last night and she is only eating her hay. Should i take her to the vet and have her checked out or will she be okay as long as she is eating hay. Also any help or advice as to what to give her.

Okay so i noticed that my rabbit has not been eating her pellets. I called the vet and they said that she may have a hairball to try feeding her pineapple or pineapple juice. Well she will not eat any of that she would eat some carrots last night and she is only eating her hay. Should i take her to the vet and have her checked out or will she be okay as long as she is eating hay. Also any help or advice as to what to give her.

Is she pooing ?

I would take her to the vets ASAP. Somethings obviously not right, and they can go downhill very quickly xx

I agree that she needs urgent Veterinary attention.
She obviously has reduced gut motility and left untreated this can become a life threatening condition.

Is she drinking? Keeping her gut contents well hydrated is essential. So if she is not drinking you need to syringe water into her on an hourly basis til you can get her to a Vet. She needs at least 10ml/kg/hour

sorry, im just repeating what others have said, but PLEASE get her to a vet as soon as you can, she will go down rapidly if her gut isn't moving as it should be.

It could be a number of things from teeth to blockage but the vet has to see the rabbit to diagnose its condition and find out the underlying reason for your bunny not to be eating!

I had a bunny die in the begining of march due to a blockage and its not a nice thing at all :(

Please go to the vet ASAP especially since its been 2 days since your bunny has eaten!

Well i took you guys advice and took her to the vet. they felt a mass not sure yet if it is a hairball mass or something else. the next step they do xrays to find out what we are dealing with. My husband will be taking her today. Please keep Cocoa in your prayers and hope this all goes away. I just hope that she doesn't have to have surgery to have it removed.

Back