• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting a Losing Battle With Poor Lady Lydia's Hocks

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
We have tried so many different treatments but nothing seems to help :cry:

I now have to keep her bandaged all the time :cry:

Both hocks are like this :cry:

002-8.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-7.jpg

005-7.jpg

Some vibes would be much appreciated

Awww they look really sore :(

Does she try and nibble her bandage?

Sending lots of vibes to the beautiful Lady L.

**lots of vibes**

Sorry for being stupid but what causes them?

Was going to ask the same thing.

My Stanely got sore hocks when he was eldery from sitting in his own urine, had to keep his hutch clean and wash his little feet.

Shes such a beautiful bunny Jane :love:

**lots of vibes**

Sorry for being stupid but what causes them?

Unfortunately Rexes are very prone to Sore Hocks as they have no guard hairs.

The thin fur gets worn off and then the skin becomes sore from constant contact with the ground.
Sore Hocks can be a life-limiting condition :cry:

this may be a crazy idea but I saw an advert on TV for a gel for ladies to prevent leg rubbing friction burns that you can get when it's hot & you are wearing a skirt... as she is well bandaged to add cusion would it be worth trying something like that to prevent her skin rubbing against the bandage (with vets ok)? It may also be worth talking to anyone in the NHS about how they skin treat abscess in humans as the treatment might transfer well to bunnies???

Unfortunately Rexes are very prone to Sore Hocks as they have no guard hairs.

The thin fur gets worn off and then the skin becomes sore from constant contact with the ground.
Sore Hocks can be a life-limiting condition :cry:

Thank you :)

I like ecudc's suggestion! I hope she's not suffering too much and you can find a solution xx

this may be a crazy idea but I saw an advert on TV for a gel for ladies to prevent leg rubbing friction burns that you can get when it's hot & you are wearing a skirt... as she is well bandaged to add cusion would it be worth trying something like that to prevent her skin rubbing against the bandage (with vets ok)? It may also be worth talking to anyone in the NHS about how they skin treat abscess in humans as the treatment might transfer well to bunnies???

Thanks for that.
She does have a special manuka honey impregnated dressing under the bandage which is quite thick so acts as a 'cushion'.
We also use chiropody felt.

Back