• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor little Tinkerbell U/D she has passed away

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
Tink was out in the garden this afternoon and when I looked at her she seemed kind of spaced out and her head was tilting to the side.

Got her an appoinment 15 mins later. Vet checked her over and could find no ear infection etc and is now of the opinion that she has EC.

Poor little baby has been through Syphillis, tooth abcess, ongoing teeth problems and now this :(

Please send some snuggles for my poor little Princess.

Last edited:
Oh dear :cry:

As she has a history of abscesses I would suggest you ask your Vet about treating her with antibiotics aswell as the Panacur.
Middle Ear infection can usually only be diagnosed from radiographs so unless she was Xrayed I would not rule out Otitis Media and would want to cover all bases.
She should be on an anti-inflammatory too, regardless of whether its EC or Otitis Media.

Sending tons of vibes for her

Thanks everyone. I'm in tears over her, she is just sitting there with her head all tilted, she looks as if she is off in another world. It has come on so quickly, she was fine this morning when I let her out of the run.

Jane, she is on Baytril as well and Metacam. She just looks so lost and confused :cry:

poor little sweetheart :(:( its just not fair, she too gorgoeus to be poorly.. sending loads of vibes xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Donna, it's really awful, I've never been so upset by a rabbit illness before :(

Thank you.

Does anyone know how long it will take before she starts to improve? I forgot to ask the vet, I was in a bit of a state. Will she always have the headtilt or will it go?

Thank you.

Does anyone know how long it will take before she starts to improve? I forgot to ask the vet, I was in a bit of a state. Will she always have the headtilt or will it go?

Any improvement can take some time, weeks rather than days.
Keeping her eating is important, supportive feeding may be needed in the early days.

Some Rabbits are left with a permanent tilt but they can adapt and cope very well.

Are her eyes flicking at all (the actual eyeballs)

Her eyeballs don't appear to be flickering. Is this a good sign or not? She doesn't seem very responsive, she sits there and I talk to her and her head just starts tilting and she looks spaced out.

This is just awful :(

Her eyeballs don't appear to be flickering. Is this a good sign or not? She doesn't seem very responsive, she sits there and I talk to her and her head just starts tilting and she looks spaced out.

This is just awful :(

It's a good sign that her eyes are not flicking
Is she eating and pooing?
What dose of Metacam is she on ?

She is on 0.3mls. She hasn't eaten any tea, I gave it her about an hour ago. Hubby changed her littertray this afternoon and there are no poos or wees in there but she was out in the garden most of the afternoon so may have been to the toilet out there.

Oh goodness I'm so sorry, I know exactly how you feel because we're battling Wilson's head tilt & have been since 2nd April :cry: Please don't give up hope, I know how you feel but just take one day at a time - if you can get her to eat & drink that will help. it is so difficult to say how long it will take her to recover & if she'll always have a headtilt - as each bunny is different. I agree with Jane that she needs metacam as well as baytril, as a minimum.

Wilson has also had penecillin injections & steroid injections, he's now on a drug called Zithromax - there's lots more info on a thread in rabbit chat, including a lot of very useful & good info that Jane posted for me - which I was very grateful for. There's also a link to a website called On the Wonk which a bunny owner set up about her bunny when she had severe headtilt & recovered from it.

Sending lots & lots of vibes for you brave girl & hugs for you xxx

Thank you. Looking back, I realise she has been drinking more than normal for a couple of weeks, still eating normally though.

I just put her food and water bowl right by her but she just isn't interested. I even offered her some brown bread which she usually comes running for as soon as you open the cupboard, but no interest at all.

If she still hasn't eaten by the morning I will go over to the vets and get some powdered food for her. I have quite honestly never ever seen anything so upsetting. Yesterday she was leaping madly around up the hall. I just want my old Tinkerbell back, it is heartbreaking to see her :cry:

Back