• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive Urination

Hi! I've have a 4 year old mini lop (Maple) and lately (for the past 5 months or so) he has been peeing everywhere and A LOT! I mentioned it to the vet once and they asked me if he was drinking a lot of water and he does so they sort of brushed it off. Well, then Maple started to hang out in his litterbox all day long and ended up getting urin burn from it.:( After clearing that up he isn't allowed to have a litterbox anymore (advised by the vet). So I've been going nuts trying to keep his cage clean and not smelly. I've tried newspapers, bunny litter and puppy wee wee pads at the bottom of his cage and nothing is keeping him dry. He is always soaked in urine. Oh, and he is not yet neutered (I adopted him about 2 years ago) and I have a female rabbit in her own cage (she is spayed). Here are the questions I have:

Why has he started to urinate so much?
Why, when he had his litterbox, did he start to urinate all over?
What can I use to keep his cage clean and dry?
Could the scent of the female rabbit be causing this behavior?
Could neutering him help the situation?

Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!!:bunny:

Last edited:
I would ask the vet to do urine and blood tests as it could be a sign of U.T.I. or kidney problems

Excessive drinking and weeing can be a symptom of a health problem and I am surprised that your Vet has not suggested running some tests.

Conditions that can cause excessive drinking and weeing include Urinary Tract Infections, Bladder 'sludge'/stones, Dental problems, Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC).

If your Vet is not very clued up on Rabbits I'd suggest you take your Bun elsewhere. I would do so sooner rather than later

Good luck.

ooh yes there could be many reasons why he is urinating so much and if he is sopping wet then something is probably wrong. Janes list of possibilities is a good place to start. Something similar happened to my boy last year & it was caused by EC. If not treated it can cause ireversible damage to the kidneys and other organs. It might be possible that him being un neutered is causing part of the problem but you really have to rule out all other options first as it would be very high risk to neuter a sick rabbit. Perhaps you could post your area for a rabbit savey vet recomendations?

I agree with what others have said about getting further tests done. You need to find the cause before you can start to solve the problem.

in the mean time I would suggest putting him on vetbed (available on ebay) with towels and newspaper underneath and changing it daily or twice daily to keep him dry.

If he is getting very wet on his body, carefully trim away the hair that is getting wet and apply sudocrem to prevent the urine burn from returning :)

I don't like litter tray. They pee on the tray, then the urine on the tray goes around, it then soak their feet while they
were peeing, the urine has bacteria, and it also matted their feet. Fur that are matted prohibit breathing. The matted fur will eventually wear out and expose it to the bare skin.

I use towel at their favorite spots. Once the towel are soaked, I switch to new towel or turn the towel 180 deg.

Back