• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit leans to right

my rabbit walks and keeps falling to the right hand side, vet does not know, looks like his hips have failed,does anyone know what this is, thanks

What tests has the vet done already to rule out potential problems?

Can you describe what happens in more detail please, including: is the head tilted to the right or kept upright, is it the back or front end that falls over, does he/she sit normally, how does the fall happen - does one leg collapse or does the rabbit roll over on it's side?

It would be a good idea for the bun to be started on treatment for e.c. panacur/lapizole, antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory; If no response to the treatment further tests wil be needed: xrays of the hips/spine/legs and blood tests.
How old is the rabbit and what is his breed/weight? Did the vet check his ears?

the vet has only done basic test,s .his back legs are not working he is dragging them behind and going round in circles, the vet has given him a large anti inflamatory injection but also the vet seems to think thumper is quite old, and suggested that if this does not work maybe we should call it a day,

the vet has only done basic test,s .his back legs are not working he is dragging them behind and going round in circles, the vet has given him a large anti inflamatory injection but also the vet seems to think thumper is quite old, and suggested that if this does not work maybe we should call it a day,

It would be worth getting a second opinion from a vet who is an expert in rabbit medicine before 'calling it a day'. Whilst it is possible it is untreatable I think a vet should at least try to give a diagnosis before reaching this decision :?

Update on little Thumper

Hi thanks to you all for your replies and support, I have taken Thumper to an exotic vet recommended by a Rabbit Rescue Centre, he has kept him in overnight and is doing an xray tomorrow to establish what is up with him, fingers crossed he can treat him and make him well again.

Thanks again to you all for your advise you really do know your stuff when it comes to Bunnies.

Chrissy x

my bun had the same symptons the other week, he went to the vets and they gave him an anti inflamatory injection and panacur, he was back on his feet again unaided by the end of the day, its worth giving it a try, EC affects the nervous system and that's probably why he can't balance, sit up etc. Leo was exactly the same, hope he gets better soon x

Little Thumper update

Hi

Little Thumper still struggling, I took him to an exotic vet on your advise it cost #200 for a consultation and and x ray, I was told that he is producing too much vitamin 'c' and to reduce his diet to hey and water, I have done this, yesterday I received the results of his blood test which confirmed he has EC, at first I was frightened of losing him but the vet said it is treatable with medicine for 6 weeks, I have to treat his partner too. I will let you know what medicine he gives me tomorrow and update you, the least I can do is share the knowledge with you after all the help and support you have all given to me.

Bigh thank you.

Chrissy

hi
Little thumper is still batling on not much improvment as yet , he is on panacur , metacam and some medicine to help his water infection ,just wondring how long before we see some improvement if anyone knows, many thanks

chrissy

hi
Little thumper is still batling on not much improvment as yet , he is on panacur , metacam and some medicine to help his water infection ,just wondring how long before we see some improvement if anyone knows, many thanks

chrissy

I'm sorry to hear he's still struggling.
Every case is different, so it's difficult to answer your question, i'm afraid.
The trouble with E.c. is you can kill the parasite but the damage has already been done, and this is irreversable. That doesn't mean things can't improve. Hopefully in time the brain can find new 'pathways' around the damaged areas but it really depends how much damage has been done. Things can improve quickly, slowly or not at all.
How is he in himself?

hi

Little thumper in himself is eating well and he is very friendly, he has lost a lot of weight, but this could also be due to change of diet on advice from new vet, also his back right leg when hoping about some times his toes are curled under .

chrissy

Update on Little Thumper

I'm afraid the little fella didn't make a recovery, I took him to the exotic vet who has been treating him on Tues re his weight loss. They did more blood tests but couldn't find the cause of his weight loss, he had lost 20% of his weight although he was always hungry and eating well. The vet thought it was a tumour but said it could be in several places (he used more technical names) and he said Thumper would suffer if they did any more investigating and as he was so thin and weak he wasn't well enough to undertake any more. We made the decision upon his advise and put Thumper to sleep, we took him and have been out tonight to bury him in a special place we know and have planted a baby conifer to mark his grave. This has been very upsetting for myself and Gary we are devestated and miss him so much, he was so special to us.

Thanks for all your help and support. Take good care of them bunnies.

Chrissy

p s Blackberry his girlfriend misses him too.

Last edited:
Back