• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why did rabbit die giving birth?

taboo7

New Kit
Hi, I'm new and would really like some advise. I had a dutch (approx 12/18 months old) and she's had 2 phantom pregnancies, made the nest etc so I thought either her or the male had a problem, however she was mated around 4 weeks ago and last week I realised she was pregnant as I could feel babies moving this time but over the passed few days she stopped eating and drinking, I phoned the vet and he said it was normal for some to do this days before the birth but yesterday I could feel her spine/ribs. She started panting so I thought she was in labour yesterday but was still the same this morning so I made an appointment with the vet for this evening (the soonest I could get) as she'd started drooling. By 4pm she started arching her back and falling about and making strange noises then gave birth to a dead baby, I quickly removed it then 10 mins later it happened again but she seemed to be struggling to breath this time, it was awful. She layed down with a baby half out, I removed it from her (it was also dead) then she just layed flat and died there and then:cry: It was so upsetting, has anyone any ideas what happened? She was fit and healthy upto now, strangely though she never made a nest this time.

Thats so sad....I cant shed any light on this as I dont breed rabbits...

Its just a shame the poor bunny had to go through that- was it really necessary to breed from her?

But that aside im sorry for your loss x

Loads of possible reasons. Rabbits face all the risks that face a human woman during pregnancy but none of the early detection or treatment. I would never advise breeding from a treasured pet for this reason :(

Possible causes could be: Babies to big and getting stuck, infection, a problem with the womb, a weak heart, a STD, a bled etc. etc. Or it could have been a problem unrelated to the pregnancy eg overgrown teeth or illness stopping her eating which caused her to go into stasis and the birth was then to much. If she hadn't been drinking then it could have been dehydration.

I don't think a vet should have advised you that not drinking and eating for several days was not cause for concern. Even if decreased appetite was normal rabbits would still need fluids.

im so sorry :cry::cry::cry::cry:

i think its nature, no consalation i know but sometimes we (all females) just arent bodily able to have a first litter and it proves too much for the body

Hugs to you xxxxxxxxx

she was way to old to be having her first litter her pelvic bones had fused together hence why she was struggling for so long Dutch should be bred at 10mths at the latest.

she was way to old to be having her first litter her pelvic bones had fused together hence why she was struggling for so long Dutch should be bred at 10mths at the latest.

What an absolute load of rubbish and you should know better! Rabbits pubic bones do not fuse for a start, thats guinea pigs. It possibly wasn't an ideal age to be having a first litter but I have mated 18month old does for the first time and had litters with no issue. I don't like to use any rabbit for breeding until they are a year old, I don't feel they are mature enough until then.

OP the best post here is Tamsins, rabbits can die for any multitude of reasons from giving birth, this is why breeding should be throughly researched and never taken on lightly. Sorry for your loss.

That is a shame. Sorry for your loss.

Can I just say though as I have read a few other posts that include the same thing, that people are waiting with a very sick rabbit for an appointment at the vets because it is the earliest they could get, if my rabbit was very poorly I would just call and say I was bringing him in right away and make sure he was seen and I'm sure no one would mind.

What an absolute load of rubbish and you should know better! Rabbits pubic bones do not fuse for a start, thats guinea pigs. It possibly wasn't an ideal age to be having a first litter but I have mated 18month old does for the first time and had litters with no issue. I don't like to use any rabbit for breeding until they are a year old, I don't feel they are mature enough until then.

OP the best post here is Tamsins, rabbits can die for any multitude of reasons from giving birth, this is why breeding should be throughly researched and never taken on lightly. Sorry for your loss.

Well I have been told that they can fuse !! :shock:
Twas a BRC Breeder that told me too !!
Do you all have different views on this then :?

Brilliant post. I have no involvement in breeding or showing rabbits, but it's wonderful to read a post from a caring, knowledgeable breeder. So many myths still abound :(

Well I feel pretty stupid now as I took what this BRC Breeder told me at face value.
Even though I have no intention of breeding and know next to nothing about it I should've known better.

We live and learn !!

It possibly wasn't an ideal age to be having a first litter but I have mated 18month old does for the first time and had litters with no issue. I don't like to use any rabbit for breeding until they are a year old, I don't feel they are mature enough until then.

pardon me for asking but are your rabbit breeds french/germen lops which are bigger and take longer to mature? My hares are mated up by 10mths and i have had no problems with births

yes the same when i saw this post i rang a dutchie breeder and asked and this was what he said.

And I bet it was an 'old school' dutch breeder that probably mates them at 6/7 months old and obviously still believes the old myths like pubic bones fusing :roll: Dutch breeders tend to have a 'high turnover' of litters due to the numbers needed to get one with decent markings so mate their does alot younger. To a dutch breeder it probably was too old to mate her, but not for any physical reason - but because 'thats not how things are done'.

I really can't believe people still think rabbits pubic bones fuse. Its only guniea pigs this happens too.

pardon me for asking but are your rabbit breeds french/germen lops which are bigger and take longer to mature? My hares are mated up by 10mths and i have had no problems with births

It's nothing to do with specific breeds, it's a simple question of anatomy. Rabbits pelvic bones do not fuse.

You are correct they are German Lops so are slower to mature, but not hugely. Some breeders use does from 8 months old. I didn't say you would have porblems with births, i'm just saying waiting til the doe is older won't necessarily cause problems easier. BTW aren't Hares also a slow maturing breed? Certainly the breeders I know with them say they are.

You are correct they are German Lops so are slower to mature, but not hugely. Some breeders use does from 8 months old. I didn't say you would have porblems with births, i'm just saying waiting til the doe is older won't necessarily cause problems easier. BTW aren't Hares also a slow maturing breed? Certainly the breeders I know with them say they are.

wat breeders are they the ones i have contact with are some of the best in the country and they 10mths the latest on hares, pm me if you dont want to devolge that info public im always up for talking about hares.

Back