• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mooch wont drink anything

MiniMadTez

Mama Doe
Since moving Mooch indoors last Thursday he has been only picking at his food, hardly touched his hay, and not had any water.....I was monitoring this and trying different methods to get him to eat and drink but had to admit defeat and take him to the vet.

The only thing he has really been eating is carrots and the vet said these have been giving him enough water to keep him hydrated. He said his weight is fine, hes not dehydrated, and checked his teeth etc. theres nothing obvious so he gave Mooch a vitamin injection to try to perk him up a bit and encourage him to eat and drink again........I noticed by this morning he had drunk about 1-2cm of his bottle of water, which I thought was a good sign as its more than he has had in days, but he hasnt had any more since, and his eatings no different. He is still going to the toilet so theres no 'blockage' etc.

I have been told to take him back in to the vet if he doesnt improve in the next couple of days, but not to worry too much unless he completely stops eating or begins to look lathargic etc.......anyone had similar problems?

Moochs very worried mum :(

well my bunny Chip is hardly drinking anything now (after he had operation to fix broken leg and now has infection in it and is getting treated) even though he is eating.
My vet also said that if he has fresh veggies he gets fluid from them so maybe its not quite so bad. He has been eating spring greens, and carrots as well and some broccoli and a tiny bit of apple.
I got advice to soak his veggies in water to try and get more water in bunny.

Had the same talk with my vet when i met her out shopping , my rabbit thats only eating softened pellets, banana and apple has stoped drinking and he is inside too . My vet said he must be getting enough from the food he is eating because he is still peeing and pooing but to get in touch if anything changes ;)

Maybe he doesn't like being indoors

That did worry me, although he still plays with his toys and wants cuddles. His behaviour hasn't changed at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice other than to keep him indoors due to where I live at the moment. The horrible fact is if i put him outside here, he would most likely be stolen, let out, or something worse which I daren't even say. Not a very trustworthy neighbourhood here :(

Hoping to be moving soon anyway, so might be able to get him back outside if thats what he prefers.

Thanks bunny girl, that gives me a bit more confidence. I'll keep an eye on him incase anything changes but maybe I shouldnt worry as much. I do wish he would drink a little bit though :?

If he is a lone bunny, it is well worth getting him a bunny friend to keep him company when you are not around.

My rabbits used to be a bit wary when they came in the house for things like recovering from ops and fireworks. However, since we had a massive storm and I had to do an emergency evacuation before their playhouse flooded, they love coming in. Sometimes, I think they just need to get used to it and see it as a 'good' place to be.

That did worry me, although he still plays with his toys and wants cuddles. His behaviour hasn't changed at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice other than to keep him indoors due to where I live at the moment. The horrible fact is if i put him outside here, he would most likely be stolen, let out, or something worse which I daren't even say. Not a very trustworthy neighbourhood here :(

Hoping to be moving soon anyway, so might be able to get him back outside if thats what he prefers.

Thanks bunny girl, that gives me a bit more confidence. I'll keep an eye on him incase anything changes but maybe I shouldnt worry as much. I do wish he would drink a little bit though :?

My Rabbits will drinks lots if I add Avipro Plus to their water

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/AVIPRO.html

My Rabbits will drinks lots if I add Avipro Plus to their water

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/AVIPRO.html

Ace thanks, I'll get some :)

Mooch was with another rabbit until quite recently.....afew weeks ago. They had been together since we got them (about 2 1/2 years) and just recently started fighting. The fighting was getting dangerously bad so my mum told me to take Mooch to live with me. I am scared that its too much change for him, being alone and moving indoors into a new cage etc.....and having new people around. He seems to act like he feels vulnerable when he is in his cage, but when hes out of if he is happy.....hes trying to type for me just now! (he cant spell though!).

At the moment alot of things are trial and error......like the fact I had to change his expensive house for a cardboard box because apparently he thinks cardboard boxes are much more fun (which leaves me wondering why I spend so much money on bunny things!! :lol:)
We will get there.......hopefully I'll soon have a happy house bunny that eats and drinks the right amount!!

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. Joining this forum has already been extremely helpful for me and Mooch. :) It made me realise how little I really knew about rabbits! and has hopefully helped me become a much better bunny mummy!

Back