• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Sudden Death :'(

Katie

Mama Doe
My rabbit Phoebe has just died. I'm just istraugght, i'm beside myself. We've been to Cardiff today and so we left very early but my brother's g/f who knows what shes doing fed them this morning and let them out into their run. We had noticed that Phoebe was eating slightly less than usual for the past couple of days but not majorly, she hadn't stopped eating or drinking and poos were fine, her eyes were bright, coat shiny nose clean etc

She's a rescue bun and we believe her to be about 7 years old now (janice she's from you at arc)

We got home this evening and mum knew instantly that something was wrong, she was just quiet when we let them out to run round the garden for a while and then suddenly her nose started to twitch furiously, mum picked her up but she started to have what looked like a fit or convulsions, she then collapsed and died instantly.

Her eyes are still bright, coat still shiny, nose still clean

We don't know what to do, it's such a huge shoc, Dusty is sitting with her now, looking very confused and wondering where his best friend has gone. He'll never be able to cope :cry: we always dreaded the day one left us

I've looked up symptoms, it sounds like VHD but I just dont understand, they were both vaccinated every year regularly, they were both done in April

Whats happened to our baby :cry::cry::cry:

Oh no, oh no. :cry:

I have no idea what could have caused it - but just wanted to say how sorry I am - what a horrible shock for you.

Sending ((( hugs ))) to you - and scritches to Dusty.

How awful....

My rabbit Phoebe has just died. I'm just istraugght, i'm beside myself. We've been to Cardiff today and so we left very early but my brother's g/f who knows what shes doing fed them this morning and let them out into their run. We had noticed that Phoebe was eating slightly less than usual for the past couple of days but not majorly, she hadn't stopped eating or drinking and poos were fine, her eyes were bright, coat shiny nose clean etc

She's a rescue bun and we believe her to be about 7 years old now (janice she's from you at arc)

We got home this evening and mum knew instantly that something was wrong, she was just quiet when we let them out to run round the garden for a while and then suddenly her nose started to twitch furiously, mum picked her up but she started to have what looked like a fit or convulsions, she then collapsed and died instantly.

Her eyes are still bright, coat still shiny, nose still clean

We don't know what to do, it's such a huge shoc, Dusty is sitting with her now, looking very confused and wondering where his best friend has gone. He'll never be able to cope :cry: we always dreaded the day one left us

I've looked up symptoms, it sounds like VHD but I just dont understand, they were both vaccinated every year regularly, they were both done in April

Whats happened to our baby :cry::cry::cry:

Oh gosh, I am so sorry :(

Have you considered having a post mortem done? I know it's a horrible thought but it might help you get to the bottom of what happened.

I am so sorry for your loss. xxx

Yes, we will call the vets tomorrow, I rushed to the phone as soon as we knew something was wrong but she was gone before I had even found the number :( I'm just praying that if it was VHD or something that Dusty will be ok, he was vaccinated at the same time so if the vaccine hasn't worked for some reason... :cry:

I am so sorry Katie :cry:

I really dont think it's VHD

To me it sounds as though she had some sort of MI (Heart Attack)

A post mortem is really the only way to try to find out what happened.

It will help Dusty come to terms with his loss if he spends some time with Phoebe now.

:cry:

Could a heart attack have been prevented? We were with her in the garden there was nothing to have scared her to death, and their run is completely covered and secure there's no way a fox could have got near to scare her

Could a heart attack have been prevented? We were with her in the garden there was nothing to have scared her to death, and their run is completely covered and secure there's no way a fox could have got near to scare her

Heart Attacks can happen 'just like that'.
Fear does not have to be the trigger. Just as in humans they can come 'out of the blue' and the first anyone knows of a problem is when the Heart Attack strikes.

The 'fit' you witnessed often occurs when a Bun passes. It is distressing to witness but the Bun isnt aware of whats happening. Everything is just shutting down.

Katie - I cant offer any advise, but I am so very sorry for your sad loss.

Lots of love to all of your family x x x

The 'fit' you witnessed often occurs when a Bun passes. It is distressing to witness but the Bun isnt aware of whats happening. Everything is just shutting down.

That's what's, great about this forum, the knowledgeable people, I hope this gives you some comfort in your time of grief. So sorry for your loss :cry:

I agree about the PM though, as hard as it will be, it will give you piece of mind, plus you'll know if you have anything to worry about with Dusty

So sorry Katie to hear about your experience and loss.

You have offered all your buns a nice life while they have been with you, including Phoebe.

As Jane says this is probanly an acute event such as a heart attack or maybe even a stroke. There is only one way of finding out.

http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=438 Is this Phoebe?

yes! she looked so different from that picture though, we've had her for 4 years :)

oh how awful for you i dont have any advice but I do think a PM will be the best thing so your mind is at rest but dont blame yourself it sounds like u gave her a great forever home
thought go out to you xx

I have seen this happened once to my bridge bun Happy Bunny. The whole scene took about 2 min. But in my case, she was a weak gene breeder's rabbit, at the time (1999), I don't know anything about buns, and learnt from my mistake.

The only sign that was clear is that in the 1.5 yr. that I was w/ her, she's always nervous and grinds her teeth during that 1.5 yr., quite frequent daily. So back then, I knew her genes was weak.

Does your bun has any signs like this? And I'm so sorry for your loss.

So sorry

I am really sorry to hear what happened. I have been posting on another thread about losing my beloved Mopsy. I know exactly how you feel. I feel guilty as I wasn't there with him when it happened to give him a cuddle.

I have 2 others and I am worried sick about leaving them but I have to come to work to pay the mortgage.

I hope you find some peace of mind. I think it's something only time can ease but try and think how lucky your bunny was to be with you and have such a lovely life xxxxxxxxxx

Back