• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The time has come...........

**LouLou**

Warren Scout
........ for Smokey to have his plums off! Oh my poor boy! I am taking him tomorrow, I am really dreading it. I have had cats neutered over the years but have never been as nervous as this is my first time with a rabbit.

I had rabbits when I was a child but in those days it wasnt really heard of for rabbits to be neutered so this is all new to me. Smokey lives with his sister Honey, they are 14 weeks old and I am aware that they will have to be separated for at least 6 weeks afterwards.

They live in a pets at home 'Daisy Cottage' hutch which has 2 levels, I can remove the ramp and cover the hole so each bun will have to live on one level temporarily. I let them out in the garden (supervised) but will do this separately.

What does everyone think? Any advice is appreciated xxx

........ for Smokey to have his plums off! Oh my poor boy! I am taking him tomorrow, I am really dreading it. I have had cats neutered over the years but have never been as nervous as this is my first time with a rabbit.

I had rabbits when I was a child but in those days it wasnt really heard of for rabbits to be neutered so this is all new to me. Smokey lives with his sister Honey, they are 14 weeks old and I am aware that they will have to be separated for at least 6 weeks afterwards.

They live in a pets at home 'Daisy Cottage' hutch which has 2 levels, I can remove the ramp and cover the hole so each bun will have to live on one level temporarily. I let them out in the garden (supervised) but will do this separately.

What does everyone think? Any advice is appreciated xxx

If Smokey and Honey are already bonded, I would want to keep them separate, but where they can see each other so the bond isn't broken. He'll need a good 48 hours of rest, and then I would try and get him back into his routine exercising etc.

They bounce back pretty quick, but just make sure he's eating and pooing after the surgery.

Sending lots of vibes, but I'm sure he'll be just fine. :)

Is the female spayed? If she is then you wont have to separate them.

No Honey isnt spayed yet, its a bit too early for her as she is only 14 weeks (she can be spayed at 5-6 months - is that right?)

I understand the male can still be fertile for up to 6 weeks after the op - thats why I'll separate them but breaking the bond is what I'm worried about as well. Also when Honey has her op I'll have to separate them again while she recovers!

I had Sophie done at 16 weeks, it depends on how experienced your vet is and, more importantly I think, if she is displaying hormones. Sophie was territorial of her home under the stairs, and bit me once, and was just generally aggressive. I think this is the earliest that they are recommended to be done though.

Awww sending lots of vibes for your bun:lolve: x x I know the feeling as I had my boy dun the other week and I was worried to death he was amazing tho and came home eating like a pig and hopping around fine:D Dont worry just make sure you feed him before you take him in as buns shouldnt be starved beofre going under G/A good luck:) x x x x x x

Glad he's OK - just in need of some tlc from his mum for a few days:D

I find that the boys seem to recover quicker than the girls, so hopefully he'll be bright by teatime tonight!

Back