• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop bunnies being noisey at night?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Strawberry and Snowdrop are incredibly noisey bunnies! They are in the room next to use and usually wake me up about 6.30am by chewing and rattling the bars of the NIC set-up. Its started getting earlier and earlier though and this morning I was up at 4am with them as they just wouldnt stop doing it and its sooooo loud! I dont mind too much but my neighbours are gonna complain soon- I live in a terrace and im sure if I can here them in the next room they can here them through the walls!

The NIC cage is 6ft by 3ft and they have lots of toys etc with them but they still keep rattling the cage so I have to get up in the middle of the night to let them out for a run.

Any ideas how I can try and soften the noise at all?

I do! I give them their pellets about half ten and they are quiet untill about 2am. Then the noise starts again. Ive been very naughty and giving them more pellets in the night to shut them up but I know I shouldnt!

Could you pad the walls next to the top of the nic setup? I've done this slightly with mine where it goes against my wardrobe. So that way it won't bang when they rattle it. Maybe once they realise they can't make noise they'll give up?:)
Helen xx

They're not banging it against anything I dont think- just rattling it alot. I could hear them from downstairs earlier! I will have a go at putting some sheets or fleeces around it to see if that helps. They are both so naughty and im sure my OH is gonna say enoughs enough soon and make them go outside. They are so noisey, make soooo much mess and chew everything! We're in rented housing so never gonna get the deposit back- they have eaten a whole piece of carpet and chewed all the wooden doors too bits!

I love having them inside but its such hard work and we just cant seem to get into a routine with them that suits everyone.

Have you used cable ties to tie it together? I've got mine tightly tied together and doesn't rattle when i shake it.
Helen xx

Its the neighbours im worried about more than anything! They really are noisey and I feel bad that they're not happy and want to come out!

They just arent very chilled out, I have them both in the living room with me at the min and cant get anything done as I have to keep moving Strawberry from the top of the fish tank and stopping Snowdrop chewing the door!

They are driving me insane!!! I just want them to chill a little so I can enjoy their company without having to tell them off every 2 minutes!

Have you used cable ties to tie it together? I've got mine tightly tied together and doesn't rattle when i shake it.
Helen xx

No Ive just used the black connectors you get with it. Maybe I should try cable ties and see if that helps.

I don't feed mine before bed as it makes them hyperactive. I usually feed them about 6.00 pm. My two are usually very good and sleep during the night. Have you thought about putting them outside for a while to wear them out. Wesley has been outside to day and he is now exhausted having a kip.

We dont have a secure garden so if I put them outside they would have to go in a pen. I let them have free run of the house every evening so they have loads of opportunity to run about but they just dont seem to get tired. I have never seen Strawberry sleep! He is always up to something and Snowdrop is turning out the same! Both are now binkying like nutters on my rug in between attempts to get ontop of the fishtank!

Sorrel has been a hosue rabbit for about 18 months now and during that time i havent had a single unbroken nights sleep.

She is a little better if she's had extra exercise that day eg been outdoors or had the run of the whole house. I usually top up her hay when she wakes me but that only keeps her busy for about an hour. I normally end up caving in and letting her out of the cage for the last couple of hours....there isn't too much she can damage in my room, but i have to put a fence round my bed to stop her leaping onto it and waking me up AGAIN.

I've come to the conclusion it's just not good to share a room with rabbits.

Mine are good they are quiet over night but weren't when they were free range.I was worried about my neighbour too as their room backs onto next doors bedroom.Caging them overnight seems to have helped & also I like to think caging them overnight keeps their bond strong as they seem to go their separate ways during the day.:D

I had this problem for a ages until I bought them one of those little houses you can get from ikea, they spend all night destroying that now - silence is golden!

This is their setup- its made from cubes called NIC cubes.

DSCF0003.jpg

They chew on the bars and pull at them and it makes a right racket! Last night wasnt too bad and they didnt get me up till 6am this morning- but it definately is not fun!!!

They definately do it on purpose to get me up when they think its breakfast time as they never do it any other time than between 4am and 7am!

This is their setup- its made from cubes called NIC cubes.

DSCF0003.jpg

They chew on the bars and pull at them and it makes a right racket! Last night wasnt too bad and they didnt get me up till 6am this morning- but it definately is not fun!!!

They definately do it on purpose to get me up when they think its breakfast time as they never do it any other time than between 4am and 7am!

mine do that too - if i can get through that period, i can have a lie in after, cos they settle down. even if i give them their breakfast they carry on fussing afterwards, i think its cos of rabbits being crepuscular, cos they're always manic at 9-11pm too. *sigh*

Back