• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you get dentals done?

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
When do you put your rabbit in for a dental.
Is it when they show signs of a problem, or do you get regular check ups and if they show signs of becoming a problem, book them in.
I ask, because if the vet sees any signs of hooks, even if the rabbit is eating well and there is no problems in the cheeks etc, I get them booked in fairly soon after. It is because I am so paranoid after losing Sam to a run of abscesses, this was before I realised how common the problem was and he had very bad teeth. I kind of think its better to get it done before they go off their food.
What do you think?

Honey has small spurs and she just has to have regular check ups and if her eating slows down or she dribbles she is to go back.

I usually wait till it's *just* causing her to show symptoms, or when the vet says it looks like it needs doing. I get them checked quite often cos she is reluctant to stop eating even when her mouth is pretty badly cut up inside.:shock:

If i did them ever time she had even tiny spurs, i'd be doing them like every month or something ridiculous. they grow back very gradually so she normally manages about 4-5 months between dentals.

I normally take them up if they stop eating hay or their preferance for certain foods change or if their poos start to get smaller, especially if they are regular dental buns :)

I think it really depends on the rabbit as they all cope differently, and it also depends on which teeth are overgrowing and where/how they are pointing (e.g. whether they are growing into the cheek or tongue). Santa has other problems so I try and maximise the amount of time between GAs, but I usually book her in when her eating just starts to slow down. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, she is at the vets so often that her teeth are kept a close eye on and we discuss and decide what is best to do each time. It's usually about every 6-9 months she needs them doing. Her last one was in November so it probably won't be long before she'll need them doing again.

I book Homey in routinely as if I leave it a week longer he has problems and it is too late as he does not really show any signs until he is rolling about.:roll: Also it is hard to get hold of my vet some times.

I took Penny Pocket back to the vets for a check-up yesterday seven or eight weeks after her first dental. He said they were growing back and should need doing in approx four weeks time.

I asked this very same question just the other day and was advised to take them before any symptoms occurred and to avoid such things as ulcers and abcesses.

It was Penny's first dental so it is a case of keeping an eye on things until we know roughly how long between dentals x

Back