• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He makes me look like a bad owner!

Coltess

New Kit
Talk about making me look like I'm a useless owner.

I have a very sweet little hoodini bunny called Collar. The problem being if you bunny proof the garden he will still find a way out. He went through a phase of doing this but would always return to the doe, Mouse.

Recently:

Mouse gets rehomed. (dietry reasons)
Sasha comes home. (smaller bunny so similar dietry needs to Collar)

Collar does not even atttempt to get out of garden and play with the Collie next door (who thinks he's a toy - until the day I dread when instinct kicks in).

So we all think "wow he must be in love to not have tried to escape for over 4 months now!!"

A little bit about Collar - the grass is ALWAYS greener and its a pure "hey look im out" thing. We found him on top of his cage one day when he was supposed to be in it!!!!

So tonight he escapes and doesn't appear to be anywhere about. I've put cauliflower in the garden (which he adores) and hope he's back in the morning.

Problem: the doe, Sasha is really unhappy with him gone a mere 8 hours.

Will he come back because she somehow calls him back? I'm worried about her - men! So unreliable!

I would search high and low for Collar. I don't mean to make you any more nervous, but we have had stories here where a bun was trapped underneath something and couldn't escape. Bunnies are notorious for getting into trouble in tight spaces, so I would scour the backyard thoroughly.

After that, I would double check the cage for any weak points. Zip tie together loose panels, secure doors with strong locks and hinges, find any point where a rabbit could escape. It's your responsibility to make sure your rabbit stays safe in his cage, so be as thorough as possible.

I wish you a lot of luck in finding him, and I hope he turns up safe and sound. Keep fresh water and his favorite foods out, and check for him frequently if you don't find him in the yard. Keep us posted.

....'I would search high and low for Collar. I don't mean to make you any more nervous, but we have had stories here where a bun was trapped underneath something and couldn't escape. Bunnies are notorious for getting into trouble in tight spaces, so I would scour the backyard thoroughly'.....

not only this but he is at risk from predators as well

...'After that, I would double check the cage for any weak points. Zip tie together loose panels, secure doors with strong locks and hinges, find any point where a rabbit could escape. It's your responsibility to make sure your rabbit stays safe in his cage, so be as thorough as possible'......

if he can get out with ease the chances are somthing else can get in. i encourage you to keep searching for him.

Yeah, I've searched high and low. If it weren't that we are living in terrace housing I would think someones let him out - it is completely baffling to how he gets out.

<keeps on looking> :(

Back