• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*sigh* more neglect

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I posted a while ago about somebody i worked with not looking after their rabbits properly, i reported it to the rspca but was later told that they had said there was nothing wrong with the rabbits (didn't believe it, thought the person just wouldn't admit that that the rspca had found problems) anyway, i no longer work with the person but bumped into her yesterday.She asked me if i could clip her rabbits nails, i said i could & went round to her house. What i saw has really upset me.She has 9 rabbits, all in small cages,all with overgrown nails (one buns nails were around an inch long - i am not exagerating).The cages are all filthy and covered in flies. One bun had a very mucky bum with huge lumps of poop hanging off the fur round her back end.One of them also has a runny eye. I clipped all their nails and cut the mucky fur off the one with the dirty bum. One of them also has urine burn on his feet. Of course i told her that they were in a total mess & their condition was not acceptable but she just agreed with me & said she was going to clean them out today :( i am going to report her again but i'm not sure how helpful the rspca are going to be as i've reported it before & they supposedly found nothing wrong, they might think i'm just trying to cause trouble, which i am not - those rabbits are living in awful conditions. It's so frustrating, i just want to help those poor bunnies :( Not even sure why i'm posting really,I am just completely gutted and upset about the whole thing :cry: Thanks for listening :cry:

Oh that's awful I think the only thing you can do is offer help with cleaning up the buns and giving her some advice.

Why has she got them if she can't look after them properly? Oh bless them :cry:

Do they get any exercise? I hate to think of buns in tiny hutches. They sound horrendous living conditions.

RSPCA don't want to know half the time I call them either! :evil:

Why has she got them if she can't look after them properly? Oh bless them :cry:

Do they get any exercise? I hate to think of buns in tiny hutches. They sound horrendous living conditions.

RSPCA don't want to know half the time I call them either! :evil:

One of the hutches has got a tiny run attatched to it (approx 1 metre square) and there is a tiny run about the same size sitting in the garden but 9 buns into 2 tiny runs just doesn't work does it :( Also the hutch with the run doesn't have a ladder so the bun has to jump through the whole where the ladder should be to get into the run :?

:cry::cry: Did they have any hay/water/food?

Dont know how you kept so calm :( I went through this with my aunty, i even went out and bought a lavender lodge hutch and told her someone had give it me so i knew her buns had decent accommodation :(

Unfortunately some people just wont listen :( I really do hope the rspca do something about it this time. This is if youve cut all the nails and some of the matts etc then when the rspca go round surely it wont look as bad :? They may have gave her a warning last time, so calling again could well help :)

Hope your ok *hugs* xXx

if the cges are so filthy that the animal sufferes urine burns surly that must be cause for the rspca to do somthing?:?
can you get round again with a camera take some photos for evidence?

"clean the hutches out today"? They should be done every day especially if it's the bunnies only living space as they can't get away from it. What a complete waste of space she is :evil:. Well done for helping and keeping calm, hopefully the RSPCA will do something this time. Have you tried asking her if she's considered giving any of them up?

Maybe she's just not coping, especially if she works as you previously said. I work full time and my 3 buns and 3 rats are all I can sensibly devote time to in order to give the best possible care and attention. She may just be a little overwhelmed and not deliberately neglectful. Just playing devils advocate here.

"sigh" more neglect.

Sorry that you have found these buns in such bad condition but i can give you some advcie (which is not going to be very nice but!)
You must leave these rabbits in their filth for some time until their nails have grown long again and the cages are dirty:shock:
The RSPCA will not do anything about the conditions the buns are living in as you have (very kindly)removed all the evidence of neglect:evil:
I know this is hard to believe as i have had to do this with my neighbours and thier neglected :cry:starved cats:evil:because i had been feeding them (along with several others cat lovers in my street)i was told when i reported them that i had removed the evidence and should leave them until they were thin again so that the owner,s could be prosecuted:evil:I am still feeding these cats as i could not leave them to starve but if you want to help those rabbits then that is what you will have to do:cry:
I know it does not make sense but that is what the RSPCA have told me so i guess it is right:cry:

In hindsight, i should have made my excuses & left without cutting any nails/removing matted hair but at the time i just wanted to help make them more comfortable, i'm annoyed with myself that i didn't just walk away and call the rspca :censored: The woman no longer works at all & neither does her husband so she can't even say she's too busy to care for the rabbits properly. i have previously asked if she'd consider letting me help her rehome some so she has a more managable number but she said no. As far as i can make out, she does nothing for the rabbits but makes her husband do it :roll: They had food - a cheap museli mix, and the had water in filthy green bottles :cry: I am going to wait a while before i report them so maybe the rspca will actually do something this time. They live quite close to me & it breaks my heart that they are suffering round the corner while my two tuck into their excel hay and nuggets in their clean house :cry: It is really upsetting me, i can't stop thinking about them, i will try my hardest to get justice for them. Thanks for the advice everyone :wave:

Good idea to wait. You could always pop round with goodies for the bunnies i.e. decent food etc. saying your bunnies didn't like it so you could have an excuse to go and have another look.

Good idea to wait. You could always pop round with goodies for the bunnies i.e. decent food etc. saying your bunnies didn't like it so you could have an excuse to go and have another look.

Thats a great idea,i'll go round in a week or so, thanks :wave:

Back