• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Experienced bonders - your opinions please?

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
Tila has just been moved into his new hutch - two levels, each level 6ftx3ft x3ft tall. He will soon have a run of 6ftx3ft attached, we only need to wire it, so needless to say, there is lots of space.

In the coming months when I get another job and am financially stable again, (I'm losing mine, will explain later but not on this thread), I am hoping to get Tila a partner, he's been solitary for the year and a bit I've had him due to various reasons - space, money needed to make more space (another hutch) etc.

After being solitary for so long, I'm worried he won't bond with another - he can be quite aggressive at times, and although he has no incisors he has a deadly blow with his back claws like all rabbits :lol:

I'm hoping to get a rescue bun from a shelter organisation, providing I pass home checks (I may or may not, due to having cats and dogs.) I'm hoping that if they do pass my home checks, they will allow me to do a few bonding sessions with Tila and prospective bun before I commit to adopt, as I couldn't bare it if I adopt a bun and they don't get along, I don't have the room or money for yet another big hutch, hence this one being huuuuuge enough for two bunnies.

New bun will go into Tila's old hutch temporarily, only until a few weeks have passed after spay/neuter if they aren't already when I adopt them.

If I don't pass their home checks, does this mean I shouldn't adopt another? Failing a home check means they don't think I'm a suitable home for another bunny :(:(

The question is this though (after that terrible rant), in your opinion, what type of bunny do you think Tila may get along with? He is very stubborn and headstrong, and as I said can be aggressive and very possessive, especially over his litter boxes (hes got 2). Would he bond better with a more timid rabbit, or one that is headstrong and confident like him? He's quite large, too, somewhere between 3 and 5 kilos (can't remember exact weight :oops::oops: Been a while since he's needed a vet visit, thankfully). I don't mind which gender - either way they will be spayed/neutered for health safety.

Sorry for the rant - hope you can make some sense of my mindless mess of a post haha

I don't have much experience with bonding but just wanted to say that I'm sure there is somebody out there for Tila. :)

I'm not sure what sort of personality it would be best to bond him with so hopefully somebody more experienced can advise. But their characters can differ greatly when they are put with another bunny - Alfie used to be a big softie with me and I was shocked when he was bonded with Bubbles to find that he was actually quite bossy and very dominant. :shock: :lol:

If you fail the homecheck, I don't think you should rule out going to a different rescue. You have plenty of space, so housing size shouldn't be a problem. Some rescues might view your other pets as a problem, but others may be happy to rehome to you. :):):)

I believe some rescues will have you take your bunny to them to have some mini dates with prospective partners (speed dating for rabbits!) so they can choose each other. I think this is the best way forward.

Once chosen they should be able to bond the bunnies for you.

TBH I would only consider a female. Given his "temper" getting a male to bond with him would be dangerous, and pointless as the chances of him accepting a male sound slim.

With head strong bunnies, I tend to go for submissive bunnies. Otherwise personalities can clash and fights can break out over the smallest of things.

I am not sure on home checks as such - but I imagine that as long as you have a suitable hutch/run, secure garden, knowledge and willing (and no rabbit pelts decorating you living room) you should be fine.

:wave:

Does spending over $1000 on vet bills within 6 months to treat osteomyelitis, plus life-long antibiotics at $70 a month count as caring and willing? :lol: I did it for Tila, I'd do it for any of my pets actually.

Also spend $40 a fortnight just on 2.5 kilos of vet's cats biscuits because one of my cats has a hypersensitive bowel... I have a feeling I'll pass in that department. It's more the dogs and cats, there's 4 of each! :D

We have only have 2 cats - but passed a home check having 8 other bunnies and 2 guinea pigs also... as long as they are not sharing the rabbit's living space, and as long as the cats and dogs are not left unsupervised with the buns, I can't see them being a problem.

There are lots of people on here with many cats and dogs as well as buns - even some of the rescue ladys on here, so I don't think they frown upon this here - not sure about Australia tho :wave:

Yes I too have spent stupendous amounts of money on one rabbit.. over £1000 in 3 1/2 months, and he still passed to the bridge :cry: But people like us would rather go without ourselves than let our bunnies (or other furry babies) suffer. So taking your recent expenses into account, yes :) you should pass the caring/willing part with flying colours!

I'm sure you won't have any problems. And I too would ask the rescue to introduce your male to several different does, as they can assess which relationships have a possibility and which do not..

It is so lovely when buns are all loved up :D

Another quick hypothetical:

Say Tila bonds with another bond while in a trial session at the rescue: They are both in neutral surroundings, a little nervous etc so they huddle together like happens in some cases (hopefully it does go that well on the day he meets the right bun!!), or just say hey even bond at all at the shelter...

Will he return to being aggressive and possessive once back home in the hutch, being a territorial bun? (He is neutered, too...)

Hiya:wave:

From what you have said you sound like a great bunny Mummy & I'm sure you will pass a homecheck !!

With regard to personality, if he were my bunny I would be looking for a submissive female. Contact a rescue and explain his traits they will be able to match with a suitable partner and then take him for a visit.

You are right in what you say about returning home to his area. I would recommend you make up a temporary area somewhere else - garage, spare room etc and leave them there for a week or so to allow the bond to strengthen. Meanwhile scrub your hutch and run with white vinegar a few times to neutralise his scent markings.

Good luck with it !

Once you find the right bun/they are getting on ok at the rescue - you put them in the same.. neutralised carry case together (previous bunny scents cleaned off with vinegar etc) Then when you get them home, they go into a neutral room in your house - in an indoor cage.. or pen - with little else but litter trays, hay, bowls and bottles. This area and all trays/bowls etc also need to be neutralised by cleaning them with white vinegar solution.

The smaller the area the better (as long as they can still hop 3-4 times each direction etc) as the more space the more chance they won't interact. Although ignoring eachother is a good sign.. better than brawling.. usually they will wait to react when one bun passes by their resting place.. so they need to be resting together close by.. not at opposite sides of a room like a stand off!

Do not put them in his hutch until after about week of them being ok in the house.. and again neutralise it first by cleaning it and all it's contents with vinegar solution (or 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and allow to air dry for a couple of days).

If you put them in his hutch with out going through the above processes, then yes all hell will break loose. As it's his - and it smells like it's his! He hasn't had time to detach from his hutch and forget about it (or at least only have vague recollection of it!)

They will need time to bond on your turf - as it's a change in location from their initial meeting at the rescue. They will also have to be monitored when they go into his hutch even though it has been cleaned out.

They can be quite fickle when they are nervous etc but show their true feelings more when comfortable / confident in the space they are in.. so usually when you get home it will be tense for a few days. As long as they do not fight at the rescue, there is a good chance. Once buns have major fights with a stranger, they seem to bear a grudge and the new bun is then associated with fighting and unpleasantness.

It sounds daunting - but as long as you think - neutral space, positive behaviour, stopping the opportunity for any proper fights, giving them time to adjust.. you are going along the right lines. Just ask the rescue if they will take the rescue bun back and allow you to try again - if on the off chance it doesn't work out once you get home.

I may have some slight trouble with the 'neutral area' part. I don't hav any pare hutches, our laundry is frequented by people and dogs, and the bathroom is frequented by people and cats. Suggestions?? The only thing I can think of is the run we haven't finished building yet, but it has no shelter and it's coming on winter >_O

I may have some slight trouble with the 'neutral area' part. I don't hav any pare hutches, our laundry is frequented by people and dogs, and the bathroom is frequented by people and cats. Suggestions?? The only thing I can think of is the run we haven't finished building yet, but it has no shelter and it's coming on winter >_O

Do you have a garage or shed?

He was in his old two level hutch, which he outgrew. He could only just lay in it - he'd nearly touch both ends stretched out, could only get two hops in the length. Hence me building this huge one. I felt guilty for not accurately estimating how much he'd grow. I couldn't shove two fully grown rabbits back in that o_O Unless I absolutely HAD to, but they'dbe awfully, awfully cramped...

He was in his old two level hutch, which he outgrew. He could only just lay in it - he'd nearly touch both ends stretched out, could only get two hops in the length. Hence me building this huge one. I felt guilty for not accurately estimating how much he'd grow. I couldn't shove two fully grown rabbits back in that o_O Unless I absolutely HAD to, but they'dbe awfully, awfully cramped...

I was thinking of the other way round - move him back and get the new hutch neutral before bringing the new bunny home and use that as your neutral space. But.... I would not advocate moving him back into such a small area now I know. My only other possible thought is to add the new run to your old hutch so he has more room while you are waiting - depends on how long it will be?

It won't be for a couple of months at least... A long time considering he's already waited a few months for his new hutch, I felt so bad Imoved him in the day it was finished and ready :oops::oops:

Back