• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm confused with vets advice re abcess - help

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Hi, Yoshi has an abcess which 70% was removed a few weeks back the rest was packed with anti-biotics and sewn into the wound. He was then started on a course of anti-biotics one every three days for nine days. The abcess responded well and the swelling went down. So the antibiotics were stoppped unfortunately two weeks after it started to come back so we started the anti-biotics again on Friday he was due another one yesterday. I had a call though of the vets to say our normal vet we see had gone home ill because I knew he needed another injection I said I would see someone else. When I went he said he was glad he had seen us that night instead of our normal vet as the anti-biotics we have been given are no good as the abcess wasnt lanced or had a drainage hole? This hasnt been mentioned on previous visits, so he didnt give Yoshi his anti-biotic jab just a pain relief. I was told just to soak cotton wool in hot salt water and apply to abcess area (four or five times a day) to try and soften it so they can lance it. I dont have that much trust in the vet I saw last night because when he burred Yoshi's teeth ages ago he cut his lip and the other vet has been seing him for over a year and knows Yoshi more. But I'm in a quandry as to what vet is offering the best advice as I'm worried that if Yoshi isn't getting his anti-biotics the abcess is being given more time to grow..

Sorry its a long post but please can someone help - I'm not ready to loose my baby just yet...

Last edited:
Well I agree that the abscess needs to be open if it was not possible to remove all of it surgically.
But I cant understand why no antibiotic cover at all is now being given :?
And what about pain relief ?

I went back to my normal vet last night and she gave him his anti-biotic injection, yes he had pain relief the night before. The abcess is more swollen again and it's slightly up from the last position so my vet is trying to get hold of the aipmma beads to maybe operate again next week.

I am a VN and from my experience with abcesses neither vet is telling you the wrong thing just not perhaps managing it in the same way. Usually an abcess is drained and if a large cavity is left a drain is sutured in place and the wound left slightly open for any more fluid to drain out. Alongside this antibiotics are usually given to counteract any infection still present. It varies as to how long this takes to clear things up depending on how big the abcess was. Another way of dealing with abcesses is to apply a poultice - which is what the second vet seems to have been implying. It is usually a special dressing that is applied and it is medicated and moist and helps draw the infected material out of the wound.The warm moist cotton wool is a very basic form of this but not quite as effective. I haven't really known an abcess to be closed fully as any cavity left in the body will fill with fluid and if it is an abcess then the pus will just start filling again and you are back to square one.

Hopefully if they decide to put a drain in this will help get rid of the fluid and the antibiotics clear any infection whilst it heals.

Hi

If Naomi can get hold of AIPMMA beads it looks like he might have an operation next week. If these beads are implanted would he still need a drain

Thanks for all the help and advice so far everyone x x

I think you should just trust the way your vet is dealing with it. If they are rabbit savvy they should be well up on the necessary treatments and be able to discuss with other vets the best route to take. Unfortunately with abcesses there are no hard and fast rules as each one is so different and responds differently to different forms of treatment. All I would say is antibiotics are a must, the AIPMMA beads are worth a go and fingers crossed things start to improve. I would also ask about pain relief as you can imagine how uncomfortable an abcess is. Hope your bun improves soon...

I trust Naomi 150% I just want to make sure I have done everything possible to give him the best chance of survival.

Thanks

Back