• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colds...

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Quick question (prob silly but hey ho :lol:) Can rabbits get colds?

Not catch it from us but is there such a thing as a rabbit cold?

I know about snuffles but was wondering if there something else like a cold? And if it needed anti-biotics to clear?

Long story short there was 2 ill bunnies at the pet shop i work at nothing was being done, i called the SSPCA they came, bunnies went to the vet and were diagnosed with a serious bacterial infection and are on baytril for 2 weeks.
My manager has suspected me for the reporting and has told a lie about the rabbits saying it isnt an infection just a cold and they were fine! She will not admit i was right and she was wrong thats just the type of person she is!

and i want to tell her there is no such thing as a bunny cold but wanted to make sure im correct before i say anything :lol:

There is no such thing as a 'Rabbit Cold'
It sounds as though the two Buns have an upper Respiratory tract infection. This is often caused by Pasteurella which is a bacteria most Rabbits carry in their nasal passages. At times of stress, eg time spent in a Petshop, overcrowding, bullying by other Rabbits, other concurrent illness, the Buns immune system is not able to 'cope' and symptoms of Snuffles (snotty nose, sneezing, gunky eyes etc) develope.

It can be a serious condition and whilst abx can bring about a relief in symptoms the problem can recur at anytime in the future and any prospective owner should be made aware of this so as they know what to look out for.
Left untreated Snuffles can progress to Pneumonia which is frequently fatal.

There is no such thing as a 'Rabbit Cold'
It sounds as though the two Buns have an upper Respiratory tract infection. This is often caused by Pasteurella which is a bacteria most Rabbits carry in their nasal passages. At times of stress, eg time spent in a Petshop, overcrowding, bullying by other Rabbits, other concurrent illness, the Buns immune system is not able to 'cope' and symptoms of Snuffles (snotty nose, sneezing, gunky eyes etc) develope.

It can be a serious condition and whilst abx can bring about a relief in symptoms the problem can recur at anytime in the future and any prospective owner should be made aware of this so as they know what to look out for.
Left untreated Snuffles can progress to Pneumonia which is frequently fatal.

Thanks Jane :wave: Just what i needed :)

Back