• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people ask.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
On an evironmental forum I'm on, somebody has posted their nethie has a constantly dirty bum. I said my first guess would be a dental problem, but to also look at her weight, if she is arthritic and her diet- too much veg.
They replied, she isn't overweight or arthritic and her teeth are fine, so it must her diet. Do people not realise rabbits have back teeth, why are folk so against going to the vet.
Anyway, I've advised if her change in diet doesn't work, to get her teeth checked.
This happens to me all the time, folk ask for advice, and if you mention going to the vet, they immediately form an excuse to avoid it- it drives me nuts.

On an evironmental forum I'm on, somebody has posted their nethie has a constantly dirty bum. I said my first guess would be a dental problem, but to also look at her weight, if she is arthritic and her diet- too much veg.
They replied, she isn't overweight or arthritic and her teeth are fine, so it must her diet. Do people not realise rabbits have back teeth, why are folk so against going to the vet.
Anyway, I've advised if her change in diet doesn't work, to get her teeth checked.
This happens to me all the time, folk ask for advice, and if you mention going to the vet, they immediately form an excuse to avoid it- it drives me nuts.

We get this all the time in PAH. Someone comes in with a problem (sometimes serious) and you advise them and say they need to go to the vets asap, they then ask if you sell antibiotics and pain killers because they'll do anything to avoid the vets. Frustrates the hell out of me. Sometimes you feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall!

Yeah, they just think its too expensive, "£25 just to walk in the door" If they had to pay at the doctors it might be easier to get an appointment.

I don't understand it either, I'm positively neurotic over my two and have them to the vets at the first sign of ANYTHING

OK not quite anything but I keep a VERY close eye on them for anything

I seriously don't know - why get animals in the first place if you can't be bothered to take them to the vets when they need to go? :cry:

Yeh the pet shop i work in we get it too :roll:
Yesterday i was asked if we sell Panacur, i said no you have to get that from the vets, online or pets at home. They continued to look and come to me showed me the kitten worming paste and asked if that would do:? I said no it needs to be the proper rabbit stuff so i asked what he was needing it for and if it was going to be used as a precaution or does the rabbit have worms?

The woman said well the flies have laid eggs and given the rabbit worms :shock: I said it sounded like flystrike and the rabbit needed to be seen by a vet. She then said but dont you sell stuff to help stop flystrike and i said no it needs vet treatment and she stormed out saying what a useless shop, they dont have anything :roll:

Poor rabbit i hate to think what a state its in :(
Some people need turned upside down and dropped on theor heads to knock some sence into them :lol:

If they had a kid that was ill they would go to the docs so why is it so different for a bunny? I know its costs money but then why get the poor animal if your not willing to pay huge vet bills :?

Yeh the pet shop i work in we get it too :roll:
Yesterday i was asked if we sell Panacur, i said no you have to get that from the vets, online or pets at home. They continued to look and come to me showed me the kitten worming paste and asked if that would do:? I said no it needs to be the proper rabbit stuff so i asked what he was needing it for and if it was going to be used as a precaution or does the rabbit have worms?

The woman said well the flies have laid eggs and given the rabbit worms :shock: I said it sounded like flystrike and the rabbit needed to be seen by a vet. She then said but dont you sell stuff to help stop flystrike and i said no it needs vet treatment and she stormed out saying what a useless shop, they dont have anything :roll:

Poor rabbit i hate to think what a state its in :(
Some people need turned upside down and dropped on theor heads to knock some sence into them :lol:

If they had a kid that was ill they would go to the docs so why is it so different for a bunny? I know its costs money but then why get the poor animal if your not willing to pay huge vet bills :?

The poor bun. Do you know, i thought i was knowledgable on rabbits before i got my 2 rescue buns. (i had 2 rabbits when i was a child) but i still researched and this forum has helped me expand my knowledge and learn more and actually realise that in some aspects what i was doing was wrong or i wasnt doing enough.
What im trying to say is, Why do people get an animal and assume they dont need to know about their care, or are too selfish and lazy to learn more about the animal they have and the problems they might encounter.

I don't think some people actually realise when they take on an animal quite how expensive vets are and it's not something that your average pet shop will warn about either. I really like vets that do their own insurance so everything from myxi vax - emergencies is covered for £x a month so you don't have to worry.

I don't think some people actually realise when they take on an animal quite how expensive vets are and it's not something that your average pet shop will warn about either. I really like vets that do their own insurance so everything from myxi vax - emergencies is covered for £x a month so you don't have to worry.

I haven't heard of this type of insurance before... do you have any more info.. could be a useful thing to invest in :wave:

The attitude of the customer who's rabbit had flystrike says it all.. they can't be bothered spending the time, effort or money on just an animal or just a rabbit. They made the effort to visit and ask at the petshop.. so what's the problem in taking it one step further and seeing a vet! Rearguard is prescription only but even if it wasn't and pet shops sold it - it would still cost around £15.. which I doubt some people would want to pay!
If the rabbit already has maggots it would need all sorts doing, so many would probably have it pts as it's cheaper! It is really awful that others can't see animals as living souls, who have as much right to a pain free, happy existance as we do!

Only if it's in their best interest do some people visit a vet..

I too am at the vets as soon as I think something is wrong... (although my vet is rather tasty I assure you his looks have nothing to do with the frequency of my visits :lol:)

Some people can put a price on a rabbit's life.. I can't. (After trying to save Toshi.. to no avail.. My credit card bill says it all!)

I think people ask so they "look" like they are actively helping their bun.. until they realise that there isn't a quick cheap fix.. then they just don't bother!

My Vets - Hugh Duffins Animal House - in Rugby and Warwick; they offer an insurance. I pay 8.90 per month for my first rabbits and 7.90 for any after that. This fee covers worming, vaccs, health checks (teeth etc), accidents and illness.
There are some downsides - it doesn't cover dentals. However if you pay Pet Plan £17/month for 2 rabbits and then on top of that pay for vaccs etc then the vet plan works out cheaper.
I also don't have to worry about claims etc it is just on my account and is taken off my bill.

Hope this helps x

I try to avoid the vets if at all possible, but if they need to go, they need to go and we'll pay whatever. But if they have an appointment coming up and the situation isn't urgent, then I'll wait until that appointment rather than spend about £30 for them to say "oh she's fine", when they could say that for free at the booked appointment.

That's so sad. I'm so lucky with my vets that they don't charge a 'walk in' fee.

What I've found its older cats, they tend to get chronic renal failure, diabetes or hypothyroidism. People are willing to take them in for a check up, but don't want to pay for ongoing treatment or operations. They say they will come back for tests but never turn up again, the next time you see them the cat is in an awful state and it in to be PTS.

My vets used to let me pay at the end of the month when i got paid. As on more than one occasion I've had to rush to the vets half way through the month and the bill has been huge.Now they say that the bill has to be settled before any treatment can begin.My vets charge £30 just to walk in the door without any treatment.I recently had to get my boyfriend to lend me the money for my bun as she was in a bad state and was getting worse. I took her into the treatment room the vet told me what the problem was and said she would need injections and medication. But before she had her injection i had to go and pay and leave my bun with the vet. Apparently some people haven't been paying but they know i have a few buns and always pay on time. I feel it's very unfair,when i asked them if it was a matter of life and death would the poor bun have to suffer if i had no money. Their answer was either pay for treatment or let the bun suffer and die.:evil: :evil:I hate this world sometimes.:(

My vets used to let me pay at the end of the month when i got paid. As on more than one occasion I've had to rush to the vets half way through the month and the bill has been huge.Now they say that the bill has to be settled before any treatment can begin.My vets charge £30 just to walk in the door without any treatment.I recently had to get my boyfriend to lend me the money for my bun as she was in a bad state and was getting worse. I took her into the treatment room the vet told me what the problem was and said she would need injections and medication. But before she had her injection i had to go and pay and leave my bun with the vet. Apparently some people haven't been paying but they know i have a few buns and always pay on time. I feel it's very unfair,when i asked them if it was a matter of life and death would the poor bun have to suffer if i had no money. Their answer was either pay for treatment or let the bun suffer and die.:evil: :evil:I hate this world sometimes.:(

Vets are obliged to treat an animal in need. Our vets will refuse routine/ non emergency treatment to bad debtor, but you have to become one first. If people who are struggling to pay a bill ask for an payment plan and stick to it, our vets will do their best to help.

im the opposite to people like this.... even a slight difference from normal behaviour im dragging my poor pet to the Vets...

i knew my moms cat was poorly as soon as she phoned me that hed gone awol that day and we then had to wait a whole 24hours before getting him to a vet after searching all about the local area... she will never not phone me again if she gets a gut feeling cus i was right and he was really sick :(

i cant believe people would rather risk an animals life than pay a few quid to get a worry checked out :cry::cry::cry::cry: in my moms defense Jet was only strange by not sitting with her that night and by the next night he was gone. :shock: too quick even for a para head like me to pick up on

Back