• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I do hope this is published, very long sorry!

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I hope I have offended no one by mentioning rescues, stories etc, please speak up if so!!

Have you ever stood in the pet shop and looked at the cute baby bunnies and thought awh?! Ever wondered what happens to them once the leave the shop?

Well, some are taken home and fawned over by the kids that wanted them so much, promised the earth in return, then a few weeks later once the novelty has worn off and mum takes over, then she gets sick of cleaning out, on dark nights, in the rain, they get palmed off. Either to another youngster, who has similarly promised to clean them out and look after them. Or if they are really luck they get taken to a rabbit rescue centre. YES! They do exist.

Here is how I found out. My first bunny, Charlie, came to me from my cousin, and he had experienced exactly the same situation as described. Bunny was palmed off on our aunty as my cousin (14) went on holiday, three weeks after her return she still hadn’t picked him up. I so glad she didn’t. The hutch, a 3ft prison, was falling apart, it was covered in poos and urine and clearly had not been cleaned out in a while.

After researching I found that bunnies like to be in pairs (at least) so I had him neutered (so more buns were not brought into this position because of me) and he got a girlfriend, who I also neutered. At random I typed rabbit and rehome into Google, well it was the end of me! I found a wonderful forum that help to rehome rabbits. They educated me, I never knew there where minimum sizes for a hutch or run. Its 6ftx2ftx2ft for a hutch, and at least 4ftx6ftx2ft for the run, if your interested. The people on the forum raise funds for rescue centres, to help continue their wonderful work, and do bunny runs to get bunnies who have a new home, get all around the country. One fantastic lady even picked me up and took me to pick up my rabbit, Autumn. I even started to help out at my local rabbit rehoming centre Tameside Rabbit and Guinea Pig Rescue, Greater Manchester. I help by advertising the current bunnies that are looking for homes over the internet, raise funds and awareness of the rescue.

These poor rabbits come to the rescue in some terrible states. In February, on one of the coldest days so far, the rescue received three baby rabbits, left on the door step in the freezing cold, not ring of the door bell, no knock on the door, the poor babes all died. How cruel.

I have also heard of the heartwarming stories, of owners who get themselves into hundreds of pounds of debt, of toothless buns who lead happy, loved lives. Of sanctuaries that provide forever homes to buns with permanent problems or disabilities. And most importantly of all those people who choose a rescue centre to get their rabbit from, instead of the pet shop, or a breeder.

I have one of those rabbits too. A rescue rabbit, Granite is my true rescue bunny ( the others are second chancers, who have never seen a rescue center, but were unwanted) and has come to me via a bunny run from Honeybunnies rescue centre, in Leicester. Leicester to Manchester is no mean feat for a rabbit either. My other guys, which includes Granite’s Girlfriend, Sophie, have been living life as separate pairs, however, we have embarked on another step in life together, they are being bonded as a group, and will be going to live in a 6ftx12ft dog kennel and run, minus the dog, of course. I think Charlie has come far in just under a year, from living in a squalid 3ft hutch, to a palatial pad with three buddies.

As a 27 year old woman, I did get a lot of “what do you want one of those for?” “why do you want it?” “oh, rabbit pie for tea then?”, But to me he was my baby, I wanted a dog, but both of us were out too long at work, and I don’t like cats, a rabbit seemed a happy compromise. Now they are all my babies. I don’t need to be there all day, so long as their hutch and run are secure clean and they have clean water and plenty of hay I’m happy, they are happy. They get lots of love and nose runs, and in return they repay me with binkys (where they jump high in the air to show they are happy) when they get on the grass, and if I am lucky I get bunny licks too. What more could you want!

What do you think? With my dyslexia my head can't structure anything longer than 4 sentences!

I think it's a wonderful article. :) Also, I would be happy to help edit it for grammar or whatever else if you wanted another set of eyes reading it over. (I have a friend with dyslexia who has me proofread her stuff. We make a great team because she provides all the creativity, and I provide a human spellchecker! :lol:)

Thank you for the offer, but I have already sent it, I should have put it on here first really!

I have asked that they reply if they will print it or not, then I might see if someone else wants it. Im hoping to raise a bit of money for Elaine at Tameside by selling it, Plus raising awareness of rabbits, rescues and the conditions rabbits live in :D

Great article. I think you did an excellent job considering you are dyslexic!! The magazine/newspaper will edit any mistakes should they need to anyway (i couldn't see any)
:thumb:

That is excellent & very well structured & informative :) Well done, I hope it really helps to get the message across, as it is clearly written from the heart :thumb:

It is lovely.

What about mags like 'Take a Break' or 'Women's Weekly'? They often want true life type things that don't take up too much space?

Emma

Back