• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya Tablets / Pineapple

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I spoke to my vet today about things I can do while Eddison is shedding, and she mentioned papaya tablets and pineapple. She said that she used to recommend these things in the past, but recent studies have shown that the enzymes in these two are only activated when the papaya/pineapple are at about 200 F (93.33 C), so they actually don't do very much.

She thinks that owners who use papaya tablets or pineapple are probably very educated owners, so the other things that they do, such as brushing or keeping the rabbit well hydrated, are actually helping more, and the papaya is fairly useless.

She also mentioned that some people like to syringe feed Critical Care and the like, but she really thinks it's just the extra hydration from the syringe feeds that helps more than anything.

Anyone else heard these studies?

I spoke to my vet today about things I can do while Eddison is shedding, and she mentioned papaya tablets and pineapple. She said that she used to recommend these things in the past, but recent studies have shown that the enzymes in these two are only activated when the papaya/pineapple are at about 200 F (93.33 C), so they actually don't do very much.

She thinks that owners who use papaya tablets or pineapple are probably very educated owners, so the other things that they do, such as brushing or keeping the rabbit well hydrated, are actually helping more, and the papaya is fairly useless.

She also mentioned that some people like to syringe feed Critical Care and the like, but she really thinks it's just the extra hydration from the syringe feeds that helps more than anything.

Anyone else heard these studies?

I completely agree re the Pineapple/Papya

CC is useful but as I always go on about, hydration is mega important and can do alot to help a Bun in GI stasis.
If the guts are empty then food is necessary to try to prevent hepatic lipidosis and to give gut motility meds something to 'work on' and so I would use CC

Back