• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun Acting Weird - no idea why?!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
I am hoping that I am not just being an obsessive, hypochondriac bunny mum

I went out about an hour ago to feed the rabbits - Indi tucked straight into the brocolli as normal, but Phoenix was sat hunched up in the run looking a bit spaced. i picked her up and put her in the shed with Indi next to the brocolli, but she showed no interest and got grizzly when i put some under her nose, which is unheard of for her.

I brought her in and checked her over - moving around normally and seemed a bit brighter, ate a carroty but not interested in anything else. Heart rate was 160 bpm, temp is normal, some gut sounds but not as much as Indi. Not gassy/bloated. Had a good feel of her abdomen but didnt find anything abnormal. Tried tempting her again with food, and again with Indi and she eventually came around and ate a chunk of carrot, a chunk of brocolli some dandelion leaves and a bit of grass.

She really perked up so i've put them both out on the grass for a run around and she is eating the grass. no poo's or wees yet. Weird thing is she is acting a bit odd - they both always get excited when you approach the run, but she is acting like she is desperate to get out, ripping out the grass and climbing the bars when i go over. I picked her up for a while and she settled but them got agitated again. They have water and a litter tray in the run.

Assuming she carries on eating normally, what can be wrong with her? should i leave them to settle down? She seems to be quite "needy" but i dont know why?!

sorry for long post, any suggestions or ideas? i'll go and check on them soon.

havent seen anything around, there are a couple of neighbourhood cats but they dont ever both going near the rabbits.

Indi had the head tilt, so this is the other one :roll:

I was going to say about a predator too, our's behaviour went a bit weird soon before I realised the foxes had found them :(

yes they were both speyed in May or June last year

Bullying:I dont think so - they have always got on really well, and will even take food out of each others mouths and not cause any hassle. Indi is always more of a foody and Phoenix has dropped a little weight, down from 2.6kg to 2.25kg in the last 2 months but she doesnt feel very skinny (Indi hasnt lost any weight). I have tried feeding Phoenix more but she worries when Indi is not around and wont settle down and eat.

Awwh :( Have no idea but just want to send nose rubs to them both. They were always piggies when they were here too :? Very strange - i do hope shes ok xXx

well, i've put them to bed and they are happily munching the hay now :roll:. Hopefully it was all a momentary thing and she'll be ok, but my housemates are in tomorrow and can check on them anyway. Might just have to try harder to feed her up a bit!

We find sometimes that some of our rabbits behaviour is odd just before we have thunder. It's suprising what they hear that we don't. :)

Back