• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picking up my 2 buns today!!!How much hay?

jeanette177

Young Bun
I will be picking up my fist pair of rescue bunnies later today, I am so excited, it seems like I've been waiting forever. Couldn't get to sleep the night we viewed them and had another sleepless night Saturday when they said we could have them and no doubt I will be awake all night tonight listening and worrying about them but it's worth it.

I have just been preparing the hutch and was wondering how much hay I need to put in their sleeping area, my partner has built the hutch from scratch and made a cosy sleeping area for them that is fully insulated with a small opening for them, so far I have put in about 8 hand fulls of compressed hay and loosened it out, I want them to be cosy but not squashed I think I have answered my own question lol just want to get everything perfect for them, I have spent the last three weeks glued to this forum so that I can learn as much as possible as I have never had bunnies before now I am just rambling and probably not making sense, I feel like I'm waiting to go int labour again so excited but want everything to be perfect for them.

Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Just want to add I will be putting some near their litter tray as I understand they like to eat while they go and we will be picking up a hay rack when we pick up the buns so I will be putting some there as I understand they need to eat their own body size of hay a day.

I wouldn't worry too much for the first night - they'll rearrange it anyway. Have a look tomorrow after they've spent a night in there & you can see where they've squashed it down or eaten it, and just top it up again.:)

It's fairly mild at the moment (assuming they are outdoor buns), and as there's two in together they won't get too chilly. If we have a cold snap, put some more in - they'll probably kick it out into the main area if there's too much for them!:)

Awww, how exciting. :D:D

Don't be too worried if they don't want to sleep in the bedroom part at all - Alfie and Bubbles decided that they wanted a nice dark place to use as the toilet room, so all they do in their 'bedroom' is pee and poo. :lol::lol:

Just counting down the hours.............will be taking lots of pics but don't know how long it will take me to figure out how to post them.

Back