• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie's not well again (not eating)... staying at vet's tonight U/D post 37

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
He's done brilliantly since his colostomy (EDIT:shock:cystotomy, can't you tell I've had no sleep!!) but after a day of being really well yesterday he turned down his spring greens, hasn't eaten his pellets, or a carroty treat but did eat a raisin (exact copy of when he had his bladder problems).

He's had a heat pad since I realised he wasn't well at 3.00 am and I've got a little bit of water in him which made him angry with me :cry:

He's done a tiny wee overnight but no poos (unless they were not in his tray, he does 50//50 in tray and wherever). He's just been out to flop by my feet as he does first thing but after five minutes suddenly ran away again :cry::cry: At least he wanted to come and see me.

I've got a horrible feeling this is going to be bladder stones/sludge despite his 'clear out' only five weeks ago.

I'll be getting him to the vets for 9.00 am ... instead of going to work, leaving a colleague to do the work of 2 the first day back after having her cat put down, guilt and misery all round then :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh no. :(:( I hope Artie's ok. Poor little man.

I'm sure your work colleague will understand, especially having pets herself. ;)

He is being kept in for feeding, xray, Pretty much as expected, and a blood test as well.

The vet (Alison) didn't think it was his bladder as his bladder felt small. Looking at his tray properly he's wee'd more than I thought last night. It *could* just be a stomach upset (my thoughts, not the vet's suggestion)

He banged his foot hard in the wire carrier at the vets and blood splattered - he's now got a wound on his hock (that's if he didn't have a sore there to start with :?). That was particularly horrible as a few nights ago I had a nightmare and sat bolt upright with the image of an open wound on a black hock with maggots in it :cry::cry: No maggots today thank god but the image was strikingly similar otherwise:cry:.

Better get ready for work now, thanks for the vibes and wishes.

I get to know at 3pm if not before.

She very kindly went to Walsall with me to collect Tinks, she definitely won't be thinking 'it's only a rabbit' :love::love:

Aaaaah, that's good. :D I hope Artie's leg is ok - that dream sounds awful. :shock: It wasn't after reading all that talk about fly strike was it? It was probably playing on your mind.

Sending more vibes for Artie; hopefully it's really good news when you ring the vet soon. :love:

PS. I just noticed your edit to your original post. :lol: I didn't think colostomy sounded right as I was sure that was something else.

Good news and bad.

His xray is good, nothing bad to be seen on it.

But, he's not eating on his own yet, so he has to stay tonight :cry::cry::cry: He is however taking syringe feeds well.

That's all the info I got, no mention of his foot so I'm assuming it's not a major issue. I was really upset that he wasn't eating yet but remembered last time he stayed in he didn't eat to start with so *maybe* it just takes him a while to settle there. Hopefully with painkillers, gut stimulant and TLC he will start eating again by tomorrow... I really hope so, poor bub has been through enough recently :cry::cry::cry: I'm trying to work out if a little piece of apple could have upset his stomach yesterday, he has had apple occasionally but not as a regular thing.... I can't bear to think about it being anything more serious :(

Edit to add: A loss of .2kg from 2.8 to 2.6 over 5 weeks doesn't sound bad does it? I've cut his pellets drastically on his new diet, he's keeping himself clean now and looks okay on the weight he's at, it just sounded quite a bit, I don't feel he has a poor appetite, it's probably a good thing but I just worry so much :oops:

Last edited:
Aaaaah, that's good. :D I hope Artie's leg is ok - that dream sounds awful. :shock: It wasn't after reading all that talk about fly strike was it? It was probably playing on your mind.

PS. I just noticed your edit to your original post. :lol: I didn't think colostomy sounded right as I was sure that was something else.

The flystrike dream was actually the night before the discussion last week :shock: As for the colostomy :oops::oops: I type medical reports for a living and I'd typed about 14K words about a man's colostomy bag/reversal last week so I think the word was firmly imprinted on my brain :oops::oops:

The flystrike dream was actually the night before the discussion last week :shock:

:shock::shock: Spooky!

Hopefully Artie just needs a bit of time to settle at the vets and will get his appetite back soon.

I'm not sure about the weight loss. I weigh Alfie and Bubbles weekly though and their weight usually fluctuates - sometimes as much as 50g in a week but the following week they put it back on. :lol:

Personally I dont think the weightloss is anything to worry about. It is small and can easily be explained by his dietary changes.

I hope he will be much better by tomorrow

xx

Thanks guys, especially re the weight issues. I had just bought some scales so I could do regular weighing but I'm not sure I'll be able to see the readings with a carrier on (cheap scales, but the first reasonable ones up to 5kg I've seen).

I've only just see your thread Alison, poor Artie :cry: Sending him lots of vibes & nose rubs to be feeling better soon xxx

He's eaten greens over night but not Excel, they are giving supportive feeding but want to keep him in another 24 hours.

I'm beside myself, I can't believe he's going through this again :cry::cry::cry: It usually takes him 24 hours to eat a few pellets anyway so that's probably not anything to worry about... if he's eating hay and pooing he's normal.

His foot's okay though.

I've now got the situation where I'm supposed to be at work tomorrow, ring vets at 10.30 - 11.00 to find out whether he can come home, then be stuck at work.

I suppose I just should be grateful he's eating greens.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

He's eaten greens over night but not Excel, they are giving supportive feeding but want to keep him in another 24 hours.

I'm beside myself, I can't believe he's going through this again :cry::cry::cry: It usually takes him 24 hours to eat a few pellets anyway so that's probably not anything to worry about... if he's eating hay and pooing he's normal.

His foot's okay though.

I've now got the situation where I'm supposed to be at work tomorrow, ring vets at 10.30 - 11.00 to find out whether he can come home, then be stuck at work.

I suppose I just should be grateful he's eating greens.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hopefully he will be eating more for himself later today.
Do they know what has caused this upset ?

Hopefully he will be eating more for himself later today.
Do they know what has caused this upset ?

If they do they haven't told me. I'm just having to trust they are doing everything for him (which I do) and go for him when I'm told I can but it's torture knowing so little... maybe I'll get more info when I collect him. I presume I'd be told if they were concerned about him. The message today just said "more supportive feeding", so I'm reading that as "making sure" he's recovering, rather than anything to really worry over. I suspect it's one of those cases where you will never know what caused it. I'm assuming it's just gastric upset rather than anything else going on. Don't know if they have done blood tests, I presume that's all in-house so I'm guessing they'd have the results.

Last edited:
Back