• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dental dilemma - U/D

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I took Sorrel for her VHD vacc about 4 weeks ago and had her teeth checked while we were there, to see how they're coming along, as she gets molar spurs.

She was very wriggly but the vet said it looked like they were starting to cut into her mouth again and she'd probably need a dental in about 2 weeks. I was surprised by that because it was only 2 months since her last one and she normally has them every 5 months.

so it's now 4 weeks later and she doesn't show any signs of teeth difficulties...am i right in thinking i should just leave it till she does? I sort of thought i should have it done regardless cos it seems she'll need it soon anyway and i don't want her stopping eating and going into stasis, but I'm really reluctant to have it done three months early if there's a possibility it's not necessary...maybe the vet could have been mistaken or something?

Last edited:
I'd get the Vet to take another look at them. Best to do that rather than wait for her to stop eating as a GA on an anorexic Bun is more of a risk.

What signs has your rabbit given you in the past to show that they needed done ? My rabbits gradually leave pellets or stop eating hay or veg first , i wouldn't get them done so early if there were no signs but i wouldn't wait till they have stopped eating either ;)

What signs has your rabbit given you in the past to show that they needed done ? My rabbits gradually leave pellets or stop eating hay or veg first , i wouldn't get them done so early if there were no signs but i wouldn't wait till they have stopped eating either ;)

Which is why I suggested the Vet take another look :)

Most vet nurses do free dental checks, may be see if you can get one of those and if she has any concerns book him in for the vet to check :)

Last edited:
The duration between dental checks can vary during a rabbit life time in the same individual.. I never wait for Chloe to show signs of needing her molar done because it means that the process is already on and could have been prevented by earlier control... it's best to be on the safe side..than having an aggravated condition, because if not done on time, molar can grow wrongly

Most vet nurses do free dental checks, may be see if you can get one of those and if she has any concerns book him in for the vet to check :)

no chance, they charge me a consult fee every time, which is about £20 :(

I'm aware that the intervals between dentals can vary but i would think it would go down from 5 months to 2 so quickly :?

She doesn't give much indication of needing them done....she eats fractionally less hay but it's hard to pick up on, especially now she's part of a pair. her poos are still nice and big though :oops::oops:

I think I will go with Jane's advice and take her in for a check this week, especially as i thoguht she was a bit quiet this morning.

thanks for your advice everyone *sighs at complicatedness of bunnies*

I took her last night, there was a different vet who was much better at handlling her and actually got her to stay still while he checked her - that NEVER happens!

He said that spurs are present but not actually cutting in yet and she should be fine for a while longer :)

And I got his name so we can request him nest time. and mysteriosuly it was only £9 this time. woo!

For your continued amusement i would also like to point out that i have just broken one of my *own* teeth, so now *I* can't eat because of the sharp edge cutting me :roll: people really do come to resemble their pets!

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted. Honey has the same thing funnily enough she had hers checked again today. Hope your tooth is better soon.

no chance, they charge me a consult fee every time, which is about £20 :(

I assume you realize that w/ all these check up you pay, it costs a lot more than buy a simple otoscope and check it yourself?

You can buy a simple one and it only takes less than 10 sec. to check the teeth by wrapping a towel around your bun and hold him while you check his teeth.

And if you want a digital photo of your bun's teeth growth, you can buy a digital otoscope.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134521

Last edited:
I assume you realize that w/ all these check up you pay, it costs a lot more than buy a simple otoscope and check it yourself?

You can buy a simple one and it only takes less than 10 sec. to check the teeth by wrapping a towel around your bun and hold him while you check his teeth.

And if you want a digital photo of your bun's teeth growth, you can buy a digital otoscope.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134521

i've got one, i can't hold her still enoguh to see anything though, even with people helping me. i'd rather have the vet check her than risk damaging her with my incompetence. ;)

For your continued amusement i would also like to point out that i have just broken one of my *own* teeth, so now *I* can't eat because of the sharp edge cutting me :roll: people really do come to resemble their pets![/QUOTE]

:lol::roll:

Back