• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi, I'm new and looking to adopt a bunny!

Amble

New Kit
Hi everyone,

A friend recommended that I register here - I am looking to give a home to one or two bunnies, depending on their individual requirements (I've been told most prefer company, but some are loners!) I have a lovely hutch and an outdoor run all ready for them :)

I dont want to go to the likes of Pets At Home to get my buns - ugh :evil: I have made enquiries with some local breeders but no one seems to have anything available at the moment, so I am now looking into the possibility of rescuing/rehoming :) Ideally I would like a baby bunny, and I love lops! But I am not set on getting a lop in particular - I am happy to consider anything :)

Can anyone suggest what my next move should be? I have contacted my local Blue Cross and RSPCA centres, but none seem to have what I am looking for - a lot of the bunnies seem to be quite old :(

I live in Wiltshire, but am happy to travel to Glos/Berks/Oxf/Bristol if necessary :)

Many thanks! :wave:

Hi :wave: welcome to RU :)

So glad you're looking to rescue 1 or 2 rescue buns :), as there are so many beautiful buns desparately looking for their forever home in sanctuaries all around the country :cry: Many rescue bunnies are already speyed / neutered & vaccinated & bonded with a friend - which does make things easier for you & your chosen bunnies in the long run.

Have you done a search on Rabbit Rehome for bunnies in your area? Below are some links for bunnies in the areas you're looking for. Have to say there are loads on there & some absolutely beautiful ones.

If you see any that you're interested in, contact the rescues involved & see if they are willing to rehome to your area & see what their requirements are for homechecks etc. Good luck looking for your bunny / bunnies & welcome to the wonderful world of bunnies :) Don't forget to keep us posted on how you go on.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...nd=%&County=Gloucestershire&Submit=++Search++

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...&RabBond=%&County=Berkshire&Submit=++Search++

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...abBond=%&County=Oxfordshire&Submit=++Search++

Hi and welcome to the forum. There is BARKS where I got Wesley from in Woodford Halse, The Blue Cross in Burford and the RSPCA. If you go onto the homepage and search for rabbits in your area.

Hello there :wave: !

Check out www.windwhistlewarren.org.uk.

It's a rescue in Gloucestershire run by Alice Chamberlain. She does put her bunnies on RR but her own website tends to be a little bit more up to date and shows the 'coming soon' bunnies who are waiting to be neutered so you can see the babies there first.

I'm currently fostering 2 rabbits for the warren called Lola and Henry who could really do with a lovely home so please considered them! Their details are on RR but I can send you more info if you are interested. I'm in Wotton-under-Edge so nearer to you that the warren which is the other side of the the river Severn.

Good luck!

Sam

Thank you very much for all your replies! There are some excellent links there, which I will certainly be exploring :D Thank you so much, I will try to get in contact with some local centres tomorrow to see if they have anything other than what is on their websites :)

Wuezybun - Lola and Henry look lovely; the only thing that bothers me is that I dont think I can afford £100 for them....even on other rescue sites, the donation cost seems a lot lower :( and what with having to buy lots of nice things to keep the buns occupied in their new home, I really cant warrant £100 :( I appreciate that they are vaccinated and neutered,but still....:( I'm a very poor student!

Thanks again, to everyone!! You've definitely helped me get started! :D

I do understand the cost issue but the problem is that it's really rare that the rescue gets a rabbit in which is already neutered or vaccinated so the charity has to pay for that which is quite a bit more than £50.

We got our first rabbit Smudge from P@H :oops: because I didn't know Alice then and he cost us £29 I think and then £62 to get neutered. When got his girlfriend Suzi from the warren so I made a £50 donation but I know that it would have cost Alice at least £70 to get her neutered.

I've noticed that some of the rescues on RR don't routinely neuter and vaccinate their rabbits (the ones in Bristol for example) However I think Alice is being very responsible making sure all her buns are neutered and vaccinated. You can read lots of threads on here which explain the benefits of neutering apart from the obvious! There are also some really sad stories about rabbits getting myxi.

Keeping buns is actually more costly than it may appear at first. Vaccinating my pair costs me ~£120 per year and when little Suzi stopped eating and went into stasis the emergency vets fees were £50.

Just something to bear in mind really....

You really should vac & neuter/spay your buns, so £50 per bun from a rescue is a bargain.
If i had known about rescues before i got kermit from PAH i would have deffo went there.

Really appreciate all the replies! I havent had a bunny since I was very young, I'm so excited about getting one again! But as such, I am open to any advice on offer, so thank you all :D

Can I just ask though - surely if I had two females there wouldnt be any need to neuter? Would obviously have them vaccinated, but there wouldnt be a breeding issue if I got girlies? I've always had unneutered girls together before, with no problems! And actually had three unneutered bucks together too, but that was in a stable not a hutch! :oops: :?

Another thing to ask - is it essential to get two? Some have told me yes; others have said they need company!?

I had a rabbit when I was young too and she was never speyed or vaccinated and lived on her own to at least 8 -she hopped into our garden one day and decided to stay so we were never quite sure how old she was.

Anyway it seems like quite a lot has changed since then. This link is to a leaflet which explains why it's a good idea to have them neutered.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...ing28.8.07.pdf

It is lovely to see a bonded pair though. I've added some pictures of mine snuggled up together to give you an idea...

0063.jpg

146.jpg

wuezysam

Unfortunately females are prone to uterus cancer, which is all too common and utterlydevestating.
Plus two hormonal females are extremely unlikely to get on!
Plus if you get two girls from a pet shop one may be sexed wrong, which is all too common!

80% of female rabbits that are not neutered are likely to get Uterine Cancer before the age of 3, this can be fatal.

I see too often that people get 2 females and then give me a call to take one in because they have started fighting. Females who are also not neutered can make nests, be hormonal and aggressive and I don't think it is fair on them.

I would personally get a neutered female and a neutered male, best combination, especually if you haven't had rabbits since you were young. Rabbits are expensive and if you feel you may not be able to afford their needs then I would maybe re-think on which pet you get.

Good luck. :wave:

Hiya :wave:

Does have to be spayed im afraid and like everyone else has said its differcult keeping 2 hormonal same sex buns together un-neutered. Have you got accomodation for them as this is the most expensive part, they need alot of room! Plus you have to be prepared for vest bills. Im not trying to put you off, i adore buns and they are worth every penny but you have to be realistic, i have four buns, I paid for 3 of them to be neutered one was already done by the lovely rescue.

Once more, thank you so much for your replies! :D

I did a bit of investigating today, and I totally now take on board the point about females - the uterine cancer statistic is scary :( My local pet shop actually have a lovely boy in for rehoming due to change in owner's circumstances, so I may well consider him - he was a very sweet, friendly chap!

Re. the hutch - this is already sorted, luckily my partner makes and sells them as a sideline, so I already have a nice big hutch and outdoor run awaiting my future bunny! :)

Back