• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

request piccies of gerbil setups please

well lets wait to see if we get any lol i
Im always looking for ideas to improve mine especially as at the minute they are in a wire cage because i smashed their tank last weekend :{

Mine are all in glass tanks or clear plastic storage tubs. If thats why you are looking for the perfecto - id say just go for the normal tank. The shelves are fairly pointless and just take up space that could be used for more tunnelling with deepr substrate!
If you go on egerbil website there are lots of ideas. ON the forum theres a "gerbil cribs" section too which has peoples ideas etc.

We get "really useful boxes" around 20 gallon for our pairs - they cost around £17 and we remove most of the lid and put mesh in it. Makes it much easier for us to clean out and move etc with us having so many

I'll see if i have any pics of my gerb housing as i cant get onto photobucket

Jack_Bun who adopted some from us has a lovely huge 4 foot aquarium for his girls filled with substrate for them to make fab tunnels from!

Here is what someone who adopted a pair from us made from an old lab rat cage!

DSC07671Small.jpg

DSC07682Small.jpg

Some of our rehome gerbs in the tubs

DSC08541Small.jpg

DSC03477Small.jpg

Tank and tubs
DSC03479Small.jpg

DSC03473Small.jpg

20-10-07_1842Small.jpg

HPIM0779.jpg

Hi :D

Will see if I can get some pics of the girls tank today :)

We are in the process of 'designing' a tank topper, made from a hamster cage, so will also post some pics when this is done :) x

ours used to have a rotastack type thing with lots of tubs and tubes. It was great fun. When we accidentaly had baby gerbils (usual story) when they were starting to move about we put them into one of those large clear tubs that people store things in & put a wire lid over it so the babies could get lots of excersise on the one level but also couldn't squeak out anywhere.

I think this is the closes to what we had http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=143&pf_id=3960 although now I'd want to give them a bit more as well.

Last edited:
Our two are in a glass tank with a topper. We started off with a Perfecto tank with glass shelves but it was a pain in the bum. :roll: Now they have lots of substrate for tunnelling in down in the tank, but we can put the food, water & litter tray in the top half.

isnt there an extra large one from savic out thats like the p@h gerbilarium type things not glass but plastics is that any good x

Our two are in a glass tank with a topper. We started off with a Perfecto tank with glass shelves but it was a pain in the bum. :roll: Now they have lots of substrate for tunnelling in down in the tank, but we can put the food, water & litter tray in the top half.

Have you got any pics of your topper, I am in need of inspiration :lol:

isnt there an extra large one from savic out thats like the p@h gerbilarium type things not glass but plastics is that any good x

If its the plastic gerbilarium thats around £50 - its not really suitable. The bit at the bottom isnt really big enough for any proper tunnelling to be done. Youd be much better off just going for a 3 foot tank or similar for the same money.
Tank toppers are fine on top of large tanks with substrate in it - but if they are on top of small tanks- Nine times out of ten they will end up with stereotypcial bar chewing behaviour. The main thing for them is to be able to dig their own burrows. As long as they have room to do that - they are happy gerbs :D

The rotastacks arent really recommended due to the fact they dont have the depth for the gerbils to make their own proper tunnel systems - but are great as a play area!

hi nicola yes thats the i meant but now i have been bought a ferplast graby i think its called from equinecaninefeline x

Have you got any pics of your topper, I am in need of inspiration :lol:

I'll take a couple tomorrow and post on here. :) I wish I could say we were really clever and made it but it was from Pets at Home, so it probably won't help you much. :lol: We were toying with the idea of making something but none of us are very good at diy. :oops:

It's like the £50 one Nicki mentioned: http://www.petsathome.com/find/cate...Cages/category-is-6C02+Cages/product-is-14991 but is a bigger version - I can't seem to find the one we have on the pah site though. :?

To the OP, I agree with Nicki, the £50 gerbilarium would be far too small and I also wouldn't want to put more than 2 gerbs in the one we have now. :)

Is yours the glass gerbilarium karen that they sell? Thats a fine size for a pair if its the one im thinking of!

It probaby is, yes, Nicki. It was sold as a topper on its own and we had to buy the glass fish tank seperately. :) The tank is 30x12x15 (I think) and the topper is probably about the same height again. The tank is almost full to the brim with megazorb, so they can build some brilliant tunnels & we put cardboard down on the wire floors so they don't get sore footsies.

Thats a good size Karen!

Phew! It seemed a good size when we upgraded to it, but you know how it is - the longer they spend in there, the more I start thinking they need something even bigger. I might have to kick my two dd's out and give the gerbs the run of the whole bedroom. :lol:

No thats a good size. Thats more like one thats suitable for 2 or 3 !
The NGS recomment a minimum of 10 gallons for one gerbil - with an extra 5 gal for each additional gerbil. On egerbil we say a minimum of 15 gallons for a pair but ideally at least 20 gallons. 10 gallons is tiny! The bigger the better of course!

Back