• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding?

HCB

Warren Scout
Sorry to post in a seperate post...but i didnt know where to place this.

Ok, iv had rabbits all my life and always used sawdust/wood chippings (but a dust extracted one) and never had any problems.

BUT on another post i posted a while ago, one member sent a link about sawdust being bad for rabbits health. (One of my oldest rabbits stopped eating back in january, the vet couldnt find anything wrong with her, but her liver and kidney functions were DOUBLE what they should be, she eventually ate again and seems to be fine now, although i dont know if her functions are back to normal, i might get another blood test when she next needs to get her teeth done. I read that sawdust can cause elevated levels of one of these functions, so now im questioning if it could have been the sawdust???).

So i was considering swapping over to a different type of bedding because of the recommendation and the possibility it could be the sawdust that caused my rabbits ill health. The 2 most common iv found so far are carefresh and megazorb. No pet shops in my area sell either of these, so i would most likely have to buy online, which will be a pain. I did check the stocklists for megazorb online, and nothing even anywhere close to me (the nearest ones about an hour and quarter away, motorway driving too).

From the prices, megazorb seems to be a LOT cheaper, so at the moment, im swaying to using that. But i was wondering if you guys had any input? I know there was a post about this, i found one from about a year and a half ago, but its been a long time since then, so was wondering if peoples opinions have changed? Also, if anyone uses something different is it any good? (price wise, absorbancy, smell etc). I need one to be reasonablly safe if the rabbits eat it, my older rabbits dont, but my two babies iv seen eat sawdust now and again, so i place hay nearby and that seems to stop them, but just in case...

Thanks again! :love:

the only bedding i use is straw and hay.

they have straw on the floor of their hutch, in the little trays i put a few sheets of newspaper and cover it with hay, the newspaper absorbs up all the wee with no problems and they like to sit and munch on the hay whilst doing their business

i am in lancashire and i use easi bed its reasonably priced soaks up the wee and isnt dusty ,smells nice ,horse owners use it but alot of pet shops stock it near to me, this is the web site www.easibed.co.uk i use it for the bottom of my aviarys rabbit hutches my gerbil and my shetland ponies :)

Last edited:
i am in lancashire and i use easi bed its reasonably priced soaks up the wee and isnt dusty ,smells nice ,horse owners use it but alot of pet shops stock it near to me, this is the web site www.easibed.co.uk i use it for the bottom of my aviarys rabbit hutches my gerbil and my shetland ponies :)

:wave: Iv just checked and they actually sell it at the place i currently get my sawdust from, so i may consider this. It looks pretty similar to sawdust from the description however, so im not sure if its going to be worth swapping over to. Have you used sawdust previously, and would you say the easi bed is better? Youv stated that you use it in a variety of places, so it must be quite good! Thanks for the link!:love:

hiya it is totally diffrent to sawdust or shavings the best way to describe is its like very small wood chips ,unlike sawdust and shavings there is no dust whatsoever ,a bale of it goes alot further than a bale of shavings as its quite compressed,my lovebirds even use it to line there nest boxes and they are fussy:lol:try a bale you will see the difference the no dust factor made my mind up .let me know what you think;)

I will try easi bed next time i need to get more bedding, as iv said its at the same place, so its worth a shot!

I havnt actually looked for megazorb at the place i go (its a horse supliers), so it could be there, but i checked the online stocklist and its apparently not sold here, in fact its not sold anywhere near (i actually did a route planner on AA for different places its sold at, the nearest is an hour and 15 mins away motorway driving, bit of a pain, plus petrol...it would be easier and cheaper to order online!).

Iv just tried at pet shops so far for megazorb really. Nowhere iv been to so far sells carefresh though, so i doubt ill end up using it. We dont have a PAH which i know sells carefresh, which is annoying! Wish i lived near a big city, everywhere seems to sell things there!lol.

Ill probably try that easibed, and if the bunns dont like it i guess ill have to order online for megazorb! Thanks for all your replies!

For Megazorb - also check the Northern Crop Drier website - there seems to be more stockists listed on there - however, they do seem to be North East rather than North West.

Back