• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Transporting Giant buns

nic08

Young Bun
Hi, I am adopting 2 French Lops from a rescue and am struggling to find a suitable carrier - firstly to get them home and then subsequently to use for the vets etc.

Should I buy 2 separate large carriers - my concern with this is it will stress them out not being able to cuddle up together on their first journey home or do I buy a large one and hope I can fit them both in it not to mention lift it!

Any help appreciated as I can't think what to get - the best thing I have found is a nylon carrier suitable for cats/small dogs and if I bought 2 they could see each other through the mesh. Are they likely to scratch/bite this in a short journey?

Thanks, Nic

I think your going to have to get a cage of some sort instead of a carrier. How about one of those dog crates that fit into cars?

could you not borrow a medium/large dog crate and put it on your back seats just for the short term. for long term maybe get them used to traveling alone and get them sepperate carriers.

if it was me i would deffo keep them together for the travel to yours from the rescue.

:wave:

I have a conti and a fench lop and they both fit in their carrier together... it was only about £20 aswell as we were in a rush to get one for them both to fit in! :lol: I'll see if i can find a link to it... xXx

i would probably go for a dog crate type thing so they can stay together in side, you could always use a blanket or towel to cover part of it over if they seem a bit nervous

Whe I brought B & O back from Kris's (1 1/2 hour journey) I used a 36" dog crate which *just* fit in the back of my corsa. I think especially on long journeys (more than 10 mins) it's good for them to have a bit of space and it also meant I could put a litter tray with some hay in too. for the vets I just take them in 2 separate cat carriers.
Edit: Blues is a bigish French x dwarf and Ollie os a smallish French lol!

I was going to suggest the atlas 40 for short drives but if you are doing much over half an hour you will need quite a long crate as they don't half stretch out.

Thanks for all the help, I collected the buns today in a large dog crate and will definately invest in a large portable carrier for vets and things. There is 2 I have to decide on from the great suggestions here. The buns are gorgeous by the way and I will post some pics when they have had chance to settle in!

Back