• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel like a failure

goose81

Warren Scout
:oops:

Im so upset- have been doing well growing trust with my rescue rabbits for last 3 weeks.

Daisy is the one who really doesn't like being picked up, and I purposefully don't but I wanted to check her, and also Im aware that they need thier nails clipped.

After a failed attempt I picked her up but she struggled so much I had to put her down so that she could be safe.

Now have the biggest scratch down my chest.

Im worried I have lost all my trust with her...:oops:

Well, join the club. Rabbits don't like to be picked up, as they are prey animals and preceive being picked up by a human as being picked up by a predator. You have to pick up a rabbit, though, to check if everything (eyes, ears, fur, bottom, nails) is all right. Not doing so is equivalent to neglect. You have not betrayed your bunny; you have done what's best for her.:)

My cuddly bunny Stew after a recent shock won't let me near her and i hate it! she seems so scared of me and the shock was nothing to do with me!
whereas Dumpling (more commonly known as grumpling) is becoming very friendly - except last night when i picked him up to check his nails and ended up coming off worse for wear!
I think we all feel like that at times, i'm sure she'll come to trust you more and :love: you even tho you may feel like she doesn't!

Awh! Thanks guys - it's good to know it's not just me!

It's such a fine balance isn't it - building trust whilst having to check and continue handling to a degree.

How would you suggest I go about nail clipping the wriggly little girlie? I don't feel confident attempting it! :oops: Do vets do it?

I wouldn't worry too much Scooch normally scratches me when I pick her up (she's actually really improved now) but next time I see her she's nudging me and licking me and is all over me. It's nothing personal buns just don't like it xx

Awh! Thanks guys - it's good to know it's not just me!

It's such a fine balance isn't it - building trust whilst having to check and continue handling to a degree.

How would you suggest I go about nail clipping the wriggly little girlie? I don't feel confident attempting it! :oops: Do vets do it?

Yes, the vet should do it for a small charge. Maybe while you are there you could ask for advice re handling. Ours showed me the "bunny burrito" and I am confident enough to cut nails myself now.

My vets clip nails but it costs £12- which i think is mega expensive to say it takes 2 secs and they have to get me to hold Strawbs as he bites anyone else.

Strawberry used to be really easy to handle but is becoming worse as he gets older, probably because he is more confident and has learned if he kicks me I put him down. It took us 20mins to clip his nails the other day as I had to keep putting him down after each one cos he kicks me but we got there in the end!

My vets clip nails but it costs £12- which i think is mega expensive to say it takes 2 secs and they have to get me to hold Strawbs as he bites anyone else.

Strawberry used to be really easy to handle but is becoming worse as he gets older, probably because he is more confident and has learned if he kicks me I put him down. It took us 20mins to clip his nails the other day as I had to keep putting him down after each one cos he kicks me but we got there in the end!

£12 :shock:

Back