• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ready to start bonding in a week

stoney1

New Kit
I'm getting quite excited about Lola and Pierre being friends. Currently they are both in my garage, Pierre in Lola's old cage with a big square run attached, Lola has the rest of the garage so they can sniff each other through the mesh. (The door of the garage is open during the day so Lola has full access to my small garden and Pierre gets a run about outside a couple of times a day plus he comes inside with us at night.

I want to buy them a new cage to go out in the garden all the time...can I use this new cage to bond them in as it will be neutral territory or should I start of with the NIC cubes inside the house?

I started swapping them over in each other's territory (I got this idea on here in the advice section) and Lola started to build a nest straight away and when Pierre saw her in his run there was lots of growling (obviously peeved he was on his territory) in reply to this Lola flopped down next to the mesh..is this mating behaviour even though she's been spayed?

Slightly apprehensive about bonding them only because I haven't done it before but they do seem to like each other as when we return Pierre to his run/cage he always finds Lola through the mesh straight away!:wave:

Anyone? Lola is still building nests in Pierre's cage when she goes in there. I feel like a bad mummy, she doesn't do this normally, am I upsetting her?

Do you think I can put them in the new 6 ft cage when it arrives or bond them in either the NIC cubes or a smaller part of the new cage?

Any ideas would be really appreciated:?

Sorry if I've not read your post properly but are they going to be indoor or outdoor buns?:?

Either way, if you have the option to bond them indoors in NIC cubes I would do that. They will be indoors so you will be able to keep a closer eye on them and also you can start with a small space and then expand the NIC set-up.
Just make sure it's neutral territory, as you say your buck has been inside the house.

How recently was she spayed? If it wasn't that long ago she might still be feeling hormonal, hence the nest building.

They're going to be outside, Lola was outside most of last year and now can come outside when she likes. We got Pierre in December and he didn't have a winter coat so he's been mostly indoors.

Lola was done in January so would think her hormones have settled but then I suppose it is Spring!! Pierre's only just been done.

I think you're right about the NIC cubes, we'll have to do it upstairs as both have been downstairs. I'm just a bit apprehensive...I know I have to not intervene if there's a bit of growling and fighting going on and only wade in if it's getting nasty but I'm a bit of a softy!!

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to know I'm not alone!!:wave:

Yeah, I think the NIC cubes upstairs sound like the best bet - the more neutral the better. I would also put him in first and then her, as bucks are usually less territorial.

As she was done in January you'd think her hormones would have calmed down but like you say, it is Spring. My two are happily bonded but are obsessed with chasing and humping at the moment. The BT man who came round the other night was treated to quite a show:shock:

If you're feeling a bit nervous about the bonding try and appear as relaxed as possible, as I'm sure buns pick up on stress straight away. Only separate them if they are showing clear signs of aggression - humping, nipping, chasing and fur-pulling are all ok. If things are getting heated it can help to distract them, for example by turning the washing machine on if they're not used to its sound.

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)

I would do the bonding inside too.. as then you can sleep next to them, incase of any fighting. Ours were fine til about 5am then all hell broke loose!

We have a group of 5 (2 bucks 3 does) and it has been a hard long process with ups and downs.. it was a 6 but the one buck got evicted. We tried to rebond but he was so scared he ended up being promoted to a house bunny!

Then Rosie was poorly and had to be separated form the group, then it was back in for rebonding... and then Madam the head doe decided to be a bully again making the re-bonding harder! *touch wood* they're settled for now... and it is worth the headache to see them all playing together and grooming each other!

I am a softie too - but I realised that if it was going to work, I had to let go a bit, as otherwise they would never have bonded - or it would have taken so long and so took it's toll on them stress wise. There is always a boss bunny.. and the majority of fighting or bullying happens so that the bunnies decide who will be the bunny in charge. Hard to do, but keep reminding yourself of this.

I think as we are hooman and very attached to our lovely buns - it looks a lot worse than it is - as for them it's what buns do... for us it's terrifying. You will be able to spot any "antisocial" behaviour if one is naturally a bit of a meany. This isn't necessarily fighting, but warning them off food and nipping them every time they move - we had these issues.. which called for a car ride and then a new, neutral smaller space! Just stick with it (as long as there are no major injuries being caused)

A good thing to do is always have "time out" items to chuck in the bonding space... not to split up any fighting (as this won't work) but to act as a break - like some dandelions. Then a couple of hours later some empty loo roll tubes, then a couple of hours later veg time, then a couple of hours later fresh hay... it just keeps them stimulated, and occupied. It helps them get used to each others presence whilst having a positive effect as being togther means lots of lovely things keep on coming! It also gets them interacting as they are both interested in what you have given to "them". Be careful not to startle them doing this though as then it can cause fights :roll:

I am looking to bond my 4 house buns in a couple of weeks... hmmmm I think Crackers will be the problem - as he peed up my trousers the other day after smelling the other buck, Broops, on my clothes! And yes he is neutered :roll::lol::lol:

It's scary but go for it, and stay focused on the fact they are bunnies, and at first the nipping and chasing looks worse to humans than it probably is!

Be Brave :) :wave: And invest in some thick garden gloves!
Sorry for yet another signature essay by me![/I][/SIZE]

Cheers Linzi and Bunshine...your comments are really helpful and actually I'm beginning to relax about it already. Pierre escaped this morning while I was putting hay into his run:roll: but Lola was great and wasn't really that bothered, they had a bit of a sniff and that was it. They also had a bit of a sniff in the garden which was fine. It was only a few mins each time but positive!

I know Pierre is getting fed being stuck in when Lola can go out when she likes and so I'm looking forward to getting them both outside all the time. :D I'm getting totally overexcited about buying a new cage too:lol:

Back