• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Missing Teeth...?

Hi
My 2yr old Dwarf Lop-eared Cashmere bunny Little Thumper has had many problems with his top two teeth...they have always grown long and skew and very quickly! His last visit to the vet to have them cut was about a month ago, and he has been doing pretty well-he eats and drinks fine, we just worry about the effect of the long teeth on his lips and jaw

Last night, when we checked on him before bed, he was fine but we noticed his teeth were almost due for another cut. However, this morning the top two teeth were missing! :?: Absolutely NO idea how this happened...he seems fine and prefectly happy but my sister is hand feeding him his little pellets...he seems to chew and swallow them fine?

Just wondering if there's any food or meal that would be better for him to eat...?

Thanks!

Rabbits cope fine with no front teeth so no need to soften the pellets unless he cant lap them up himself . I have had a few that needed the front teeth removed and the could eat hay and veg no problem but the veg had to be cut into small bits or slices

if the teeth have broken off they will regrow but in the mean time his bottom front teeth will have no surface to wear against causing them to grow extremely quickly and will need trimming by your vet .(when my lop Pierre had his front top teeth removed he had to have the bottom ones trimmed every 2 weeks. thats how quickly they can grow)

I would probably take him along to the vet for a check up to make sure he is ok. His last dental may have damaged the tooth/root and I would take him in to be sure. Clipping can cause problems for the teeth and they really ought to be burred down using a drill (http://www.blackness-vet.co.uk/rabbits.htm) . In the long run I would consider having his front teeth removed. It is expensive as a one off but not as much as regular dentals over the life of a bunny.

Back