• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Congenital Agangliosis

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Just wanted to know if anybody had any experience with this particular disease. While I admit that I am a bit paranoid, and probably reading my When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care book too much, I still would like to learn more.

This is also known as "Cow Pile Syndrome" or "CPS" for short.

Yes, I had a Doe with the condition

How did the symptoms present? Did she have the typical coloring of a CPS bun? What did you use to treat it and how successful was it?

Milo is showing some of the symptoms and has the correct coloring, so any information you have would be really helpful.

How did the symptoms present? Did she have the typical coloring of a CPS bun? What did you use to treat it and how successful was it?

Milo is showing some of the symptoms and has the correct coloring, so any information you have would be really helpful.

This was the Bun, Bijou ( I didn't name her !! )

rabbits310.jpg

Her symptoms were episodes of caecal impactation and/or GI stasis
She passed the most enormous cow-pat-like poos on a daily basis.
Dietary changes had little effect.
She was treated with pain relief, prokinetics,fluids and liquid parafin when caecal impactation occured.
Over a period of about 18 months her condition worsened to the point where she had very few 'good' days. Eventually I had to let her go when drug treatments no longer bought about any relief and her quality of life was very poor.

I had a rabbit who presented with the symptoms, but he was 5 years old at the time so I doubt it was congenital. His poops were long like dog poops and were foul smelling. X-rays showed that his intestines were slack and distended, and he suffered from regular bouts of stasis. He was a 'charlie marked' spotted lop.

I've since found out that lactulose helps a lot with this condition.

This was the Bun, Bijou ( I didn't name her !! )

rabbits310.jpg

Her symptoms were episodes of caecal impactation and/or GI stasis
She passed the most enormous cow-pat-like poos on a daily basis.
Dietary changes had little effect.
She was treated with pain relief, prokinetics,fluids and liquid parafin when caecal impactation occured.
Over a period of about 18 months her condition worsened to the point where she had very few 'good' days. Eventually I had to let her go when drug treatments no longer bought about any relief and her quality of life was very poor.

She was a beautiful bun. Looks like you gave her a great life.

I've never even heard of prokinetics or liquid parafin. Sorry for all the questions, but did the symptoms present gradually and get worse, or was it already present when she came to you?

Milo has had episodes where he has misshapen jellybean like poos, cow pat poos, and now he has incontinence. He also drinks more water than my other bun. He has that "charlie" coloring, from what I understand, but so far no bouts of stasis. He's about 5 months old now, so I don't know if it would've shown by now or not.

Like I said, I certainly think I would be jumping the gun to even be suspicious of this condition, and it's more than likely I'm combining symptoms that are better explained independently. But I really appreciate all the info!

I had a rabbit who presented with the symptoms, but he was 5 years old at the time so I doubt it was congenital. His poops were long like dog poops and were foul smelling. X-rays showed that his intestines were slack and distended, and he suffered from regular bouts of stasis. He was a 'charlie marked' spotted lop.

I've since found out that lactulose helps a lot with this condition.

So far all the cases I have heard about have been lop eared bunnies. Just kind of an interesting note.

Thank you for the information, and all make a note in my book that lactulose is a possible treatment should I ever need to treat this condition.

The prokinetic was Metoclopromide
Liquid Parafin is a lubricating laxative. As abbymarysmokey says Lactulose is also now used in the treatment. Lactulose is an osmotic laxative which works by drawing water into the bowel. It is essential that the Rabbit is well hydrated if Lactulose is given.

Bijou was meant to be a Foster Bun. She was imported from France and spent 6 months in quarantine at Heathrow Airport. I dont know if she had the problem during that time. Her owner then took her home but found she could not cope with caring for Bijou as she was extremely aggressive. She was admitted to my then Vet (not where I take my Buns now) with GI stasis. She slowly responded to treatment but after a week of hospitalisation the owner marched in and said she wanted her PTS as she just could not cope with having her home :shock: :cry:
So the Vet asked me to take her and I had intended to rehome her. But it became obvious that she would never be a 'well' Rabbit so she stayed here.
She was about 14 months old when I took her on and she had been having GI problems for at least 4 months prior to that. She was about 3.5 years of age when I had to let her go :cry:

The prokinetic was Metoclopromide
Liquid Parafin is a lubricating laxative. As abbymarysmokey says Lactulose is also now used in the treatment. Lactulose is an osmotic laxative which works by drawing water into the bowel. It is essential that the Rabbit is well hydrated if Lactulose is given.

Bijou was meant to be a Foster Bun. She was imported from France and spent 6 months in quarantine at Heathrow Airport. I dont know if she had the problem during that time. Her owner then took her home but found she could not cope with caring for Bijou as she was extremely aggressive. She was admitted to my then Vet (not where I take my Buns now) with GI stasis. She slowly responded to treatment but after a week of hospitalisation the owner marched in and said she wanted her PTS as she just could not cope with having her home :shock: :cry:
So the Vet asked me to take her and I had intended to rehome her. But it became obvious that she would never be a 'well' Rabbit so she stayed here.
She was about 14 months old when I took her on and she had been having GI problems for at least 4 months prior to that. She was about 3.5 years of age when I had to let her go :cry:

I've always read that bringing moisture to the intestines was bad, as a rabbit bowel is much happier passing dry, hard poos. However, I have read that it's ok if you want medicine to be absorbed directly into the colon. But here we want water in the bowel? Why are rabbits so complicated!!

I don't know how you do it Jane, but you are a godsend to bunnies. I can't imagine how close you get to these special needs buns with daily care for over 2 years. I pray I have your strong will, and knowledge, when I try a rescue of my own.

I've always read that bringing moisture to the intestines was bad, as a rabbit bowel is much happier passing dry, hard poos. However, I have read that it's ok if you want medicine to be absorbed directly into the colon. But here we want water in the bowel? Why are rabbits so complicated!!

I don't know how you do it Jane, but you are a godsend to bunnies. I can't imagine how close you get to these special needs buns with daily care for over 2 years. I pray I have your strong will, and knowledge, when I try a rescue of my own.

I meant to type 'gut' not 'bowel' !!
Typing a reply whilst eating my tea :oops:

I meant to type 'gut' not 'bowel' !!
Typing a reply whilst eating my tea :oops:

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I'm actually due for lunch myself! :)

So if you use an osmotic laxative, is it automatic that you'll use sub-Q's or does a rabbit with caecal impaction still take in enough water to keep themselves hydrated even with the laxative?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Your bunny knowledge is addictive. :oops:

I have always had to use SQs or IVs as the Bun in question has been very poorly.

Lovely talking poo over lunch/tea !! :lol:

Back