• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

X-ray and VHD jab on same day - is it okay?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Artie has to have a follow up X-ray of his bladder (booked in for next week). He's also due his VHD jab the week after.

Does anyone know if it's alright to have both on the same day? When I asked I was advised that the car journey would be more stressful than the X-ray but it's not stress I'm worried about, I've got this (probably ridiculous) *thing* about *perhaps* isn't not a good idea to have both on the same day for the physical reasons.

I'm probably talking total rubbish but I know the VHD jab can put them off their stride for a day or so (I'll be asking for Lapinject as I've got 3 due on the same day), so if anybody has any strong opinions for or against I'd be grateful for any advice.

Otherwise I will err on the side of caution and do it in two separate trips.

:DThanks

ETA: I know the vets will do the right thing, it's just sorting out the logistics of trying to take all 3 for the jabs the same day as Art's X-ray if I decide that's the best course of action.

Last edited:
is it a normal X-ray without preparation of contrast liquid, under GA ? because if it is only X-ray followed by the jab, and the vet thinks it's ok I would go ahead... Chloe had many exams done on her during the same visit, some under short flash gas GA and some without prep..don't worry too much, I know we always are...;)

Thanks for the reassurance.

I have no idea what sort of X-ray, when I asked about jab on same day the receptionist said, "Does he normally need sedating?". I don't know whether he does or not :? I doubt he was sedated for the one he had before but this might be a different type - it's to check on calcium in his bladder but that's as much as I know. Thinking more rationally, as it's a rabbit vet they probably won't need me to take all 3 on same day to use Lapinject anyway, I can always just take the other 2 a week later if the vet deems him okay to vaccinate on the same day.

I think worrying has just become a hobby :oops::oops::roll:

Personally I'd want to wait for the result of the Xray before deciding on whether or not to VHD Vaccinate.

I definately would not want him vaccinated if he had to be sedated for the Xray.

Personally I'd want to wait for the result of the Xray before deciding on whether or not to VHD Vaccinate.

I definately would not want him vaccinated if he had to be sedated for the Xray.

Thanks Jane, I never even thought about the results of the X-ray just the X-ray itself.

I suspect the receptionist was going to say if he needs sedating he won't be vaccinated the same day, so I guess that's where she was going with that question.

I shall stick with my instincts and take him with the others a week or so later, regardless of whether he's sedated or not, unless I'm advised otherwise, but he's bouncing around like a spring lamb so he certainly seems well.

Back