• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incontinence U/D Back from the vet!

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Milo has recently been moved to the bathroom during the day, and it has a linoleum floor. He has been really difficult to litter train, despite soaking up the urine in a facecloth and putting it in the little box, then cleaning up the mess with vinegar/water solutions. When he pees on the floor, it soaks his legs,tail, and bum, because he often sits in it or walks right through it.

However, today, I noticed that he peed while I was petting him, and he was lying on the ground. Could this be incontinence? He seems to just pee anywhere, and he was neutered almost a month ago.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It might be that he's still hormonal after his neuter. Was he litter trained before the op?

It might be worth getting a vet to check a urine sample to make sure he doesn't have an infection that can effect litter habits.

Does he have favourite area/corners. You might be a temporary extra litter tray or two will help, even in a smaller area, then once he's using them you can reduce it.

For the time being, simply use a towel on his favorite pee spot. In the old days when I use a litter box, no matter how fast a bun does his business, the bun still need to squat on the tray for a few sec. when he's done. And it's those few sec. that the urine moves all over the tray, and soak their feet.

I hate it so much. It's not healthy, it soaked their feet, it matted their fur, it leaves foot print w/ bunny urine spot all over the carpet.

Let your bunny pee on the towel fixes your current problem until you find out what the cause is.

I would second getting him checked out for a possible infection, especially if it is soaking his legs as he may not be able to direct the flow properly. I would also recomend worming him for 28 days with panacur just in case as EC can also cause incontinence.

I have just had a bun with cystitis , his tail was wet and when he moved the spot where he was sitting at had a wet patch . He was treated with baytril and metacam and its gone , my vet did say it could be EC and since you say he has just been neutered i would say this could be a possibility there are lots of posts/threads on here about EC and lots of us have had rabbits get EC after surgery ( myself included ) . I hope he gets well soon x

It doesn't sound normal. I would get it checked out. The vet may want to do urine tests and maybe blood tests to check his kidneys, possibly even xrays or ultrasound.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

He wasn't litter trained before the op, but afterward, he was peeing in his litter box, and one other spot.

He pees a lot more frequently than Eddison, and seems to drink more water than him, although it's hard to monitor because they drink out of the same bowl.

I'm thinking he's just sitting in urine on the linoleum, but the insides of his legs are wet, which tells me it might be more than that. Also, Eddison sees urine puddles and avoids them, while Milo walks right through them or lays in them. That seems off to me too.

I'll keep you guys updated after I go to the vets. I will bring up EC and UTI. My only concern is that he didn't seem stressed at all following the surgery.

Also, how do they get a urine sample? Is that something I should bring, and if so, how do I collect it? :shock:

If he'll go in a clean litter tray you can get a sample that way. The vets can probably supply a tray/plastic granules (fake litter) they use for cats if you need it.

I agree with perhaps getting him checked out for a UTI or EC.
The inside of his legs being wet if definitely not normal, even if he's not going in litter tray etc.
I've had 2/3 buns with cystitis and a shot of antibiotic and a panikiller has cleared the problem up, I did also have one who tested positive for EC too so he started a course of panacur too.
Funnily the two girls I had who had it showed other signs of discomfort and reluctance to eat but the boy was still eating fine just wet all down his trousers, as it were. The medication cleared it up dead quickly.
Good luck x

I just got back from the vets, and my vet thinks a UTI is most likely. Since Milo had pre-anesthesia bloodwork done before his neuter, she knows that there is nothing wrong with his kidneys, as the levels came back normal a month ago. So, she has decided to put Milo on .4 cc of Bactrim twice a day, with a probiotic to help his tummy once a day.

Does this sound like a good course of action? My vet is pretty rabbit savvy, but no Cristobel. :) But she's great in that she's willing to hear any suggestions I have. I told her about Fibreplex, as I wanted it while Eddison was shedding, and she said that she would be looking for a US equivalent for me, and she seemed rather interested in a probiotic that also has fiber.

That sounds good to me :)

Just keep an eye he doesn't get sore underneath if his fur is getting wet. It might be worth giving him a once over with a damp cloth once a day just to get rid of any urine.

Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick and he'll be using his tray soon :)

Did his leaking come on after his neuter ?

I hope the abx sort things out for him. Did the Vet test his wee at all ?

It did happen after his neuter. He wasn't litter trained before his neuter, but he would normally sit in a spot and take a good long wee. Immediately after his neuter, he would only pee in his litter box and one other corner. Now it's just little piddle spots everywhere, and his bum getting soaked.

She wanted to do a urine test/culture, but she tried to squeeze his bladder and it was completely empty. She said that since she has no evidence to suspect something more sinister, like kidney stuff or EC, we'll try the antibiotics and reassess in about a week. He's on the abx for 10 days, just to make sure we super kill whatever bacteria might be present.

It did happen after his neuter. He wasn't litter trained before his neuter, but he would normally sit in a spot and take a good long wee. Immediately after his neuter, he would only pee in his litter box and one other corner. Now it's just little piddle spots everywhere, and his bum getting soaked.

She wanted to do a urine test/culture, but she tried to squeeze his bladder and it was completely empty. She said that since she has no evidence to suspect something more sinister, like kidney stuff or EC, we'll try the antibiotics and reassess in about a week. He's on the abx for 10 days, just to make sure we super kill whatever bacteria might be present.

Sounds a good plan to me :D

Sounds a good plan to me :D

Is it bad that when my vet recommends something, I rush to get home and ask RU if it's a good idea or not? :lol:

"Bactrim... hmmm... will RU approve? Will Jane approve?! :shock:"

She mentioned that she doesn't like to use Baytril often, because she doesn't want things to become resistant to it, and my first thought was, "Baytril? That's so outdated. Marbocyl is where it's at. RU said so!!" :oops:

Is it bad that when my vet recommends something, I rush to get home and ask RU if it's a good idea or not? :lol:

"Bactrim... hmmm... will RU approve? Will Jane approve?! :shock:"

She mentioned that she doesn't like to use Baytril often, because she doesn't want things to become resistant to it, and my first thought was, "Baytril? That's so outdated. Marbocyl is where it's at. RU said so!!" :oops:

Yikes, never take my opinion as being anything other than that of a Bunny Mummy !!
I am no Vet :wave:

Yikes, never take my opinion as being anything other than that of a Bunny Mummy !!
I am no Vet :wave:

True, but hands on experience with tons of special needs and healthy rabbits alike with the assistance of a stellar vet is nothing to laugh at. You've probably treated more rabbits than your standard vet! Normal bunny mummy you are not. ;)

True, but hands on experience with tons of special needs and healthy rabbits alike with the assistance of a stellar vet is nothing to laugh at. You've probably treated more rabbits than your standard vet! Normal bunny mummy you are not. ;)

Well I concede that nothing about me could ever be described as 'normal' !! :lol:

Now, where did I leave my straight-jacket................:?

Back