• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Diarrhoea

Radish

Mama Doe
HI

my bun Mr Benjamin Fairweather has done a small amount of diarrhoea..ie a small puddle, it smells gross.

I wiped his tail and cleaned his foot and he's quite happy and behaving normally, eating hay and a few pellets.

is it possible I have caused it by giving him greens straight from the fridge?

I was in a rush earlier and just stupidly gave them all greens from the fridge but the others all seem fine.

he seems fine in himself but just this puddle of smelly runs, which I have removed and put vetbed in hot wash.

Am working in vets in morning so can get stuff then if necessary just want a little info for tonight really.

he is warm and safe and lively and eating and well hydrated this evening.
thanks.

I doubt the greens caused such a sudden GI upset, but I guess anything is possible.
I would keep him on just hay and water overnight. If you have some Fibreplex you could give him some of that too. Or some probiotic to add to his water.

It's probably too much green and perhaps the green is a bit cold just off the fridge. Is his diet compose of 90% hay all these years?

My rabbits have always been fed a suitable diet, mostly hay with a few vegetables each morning and evening and pellets only once a week.

Mr Fairweather only had that single episode of diarrhoea and was back to normal by the following morning. I simply put bio lapis in his drinking water and fed just hay for 48hrs. I think it was just the chilled veg.

(funnily enough whilst we were doing a dental on a clients rabbit recently, one of the vets commented about how all my rabbits have great teeth and that it is because i am feeding them correctly)

Last edited:
Back