• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone else have a Bunny living with a Guinea Pig?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
My rabbit, Billie, (male) loves his little friend, Chipy, the guinea pig, also male. Chipy is getting old and I'm worried about what to do when he passes... so sad to think of...

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has a bunny and pig living together?

:)
Lynn

No...sorry Lynn I dont agree with bunnies and pigs living together. The pig can often be bullied.
I have a rescue pig that was housed with a rabbit and he was humped and allsorts...poor thing, he is now happily bonded to another male pig I have.
I would stick to rabbits+rabbits :)

Hiya :wave:
It is against RSPCA guidelines in this country now to house a guinea pig and a rabbit together for several reasons, risk of injury, different dietary requirements etc but I have known about a few where it would seem cruel to part them as they had formed a strong bond.
Although it is sad to think of our beloved pets passing away, when one or other of yours does, it would be best to bond the remaining one with one of their own kind :)

Hiya :wave:
It is against RSPCA guidelines in this country now to house a guinea pig and a rabbit together for several reasons, risk of injury, different dietary requirements etc but I have known about a few where it would seem cruel to part them as they had formed a strong bond.

It may be but they don't enforce that rule, I personally wouldn't keep the 2 species together. How about another bun?

Hi :wave:

Because many rabbits and guinea pigs in pet shops are still housed together it leads customers to believe they are a suitable pairing but they are not. Guinea Pigs cannot thrive in an environment where their well-being is threatened by an improper diet, the risk of injury, foreign pathogens, and companions with whom they do not share a common language

Diet. Guinea Pigs cannot create their own Vitamin C, therefore their pelleted diet needs to enriched with Vitamin C. Rabbits can produce their own Vitamin C so their diet is lacking extra Vitamin C therefore it is unsuitable for guinea pigs. Both rabbit and guinea pig pellet diets are made to suit the individual diets of both different species, mixing these diets or feeding to the wrong species will mean the diet then lacks vital vitamins and minerals. Keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together results in a compromise of nutritional needs.
Sexual Frustration. While rabbits are not sexually attracted to guinea pigs, it does not stop them trying to hump the pig. This can be very annoying to the pig, as it is a form of bullying. When sexually frustrated, rabbits often nip and bite the victim of their frustration. A sexually frustrated rabbit will find anything suitable as a mate, a human, and guinea pig, a cuddly toy. It is worth keeping in mind that rabbits and guinea pigs are quite different animals, one of them desiring a close, affectionate bonded pair, the other sharing a more limited interaction with a herd. Bullying and unwanted attention will cause stress and guinea pigs can become ill during times of stress.
Immunity. Most animals carry organisms which are not harmful to them but which can be fatal to other species. In the case of rabbits, a very common bacteria found in their respiratory tract is Pasteurella. While antibiotic treatments can control this disease, it often lingers on in a carrier state and requires occasional treatment. Rabbits can live a long life as carriers of Pasteurella and not even show any symptoms. However, guinea pigs are highly susceptible to respiratory infections, and their fragile immune system is not equipped to battle this pathogen. If exposed to Pasteurella, a guinea pig is many times more likely than a rabbit to succumb to the organism and die. It is a chance that not many of us would like to take with our beloved pets.
Size and strength. Even the smallest dwarf rabbit can pose a physical danger to a guinea pig, especially if space is limited. Rabbits often kick or stomp with their powerful hind feet when they are expressing their emotions. Whether a rabbit is jumping for joy or thumping out of annoyance, a guinea pig stands a good chance of getting hurt. This is not as uncommon as you might think. Rescuers often encounter guinea pigs whose legs have been broken after being caged with a rabbit.

This is not meant to cause offence, I once thought it was OK to keep them together too.

Rabswood

Even if it goes fine, and they get on together, it's not right.
I knew someone who had a bunny and a piggie living together, and they loved each other, but then the rabbit fell asleep on the guinea pig, wanting to be near it...and the poor pig suffocated under the rabbit.

Back