• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paraphimosis- Penis unable to retract

kingkio

New Kit
Has anyone ever had a rabbit with this problem?

My friend noticed a couple of days ago that her rabbits penis was not able to retract back into the sheath. He was taken to a vet who said he could operate and cut foreskin, allow penis to retract , stitch and hope for the best, as couldn't say whether the procedure would work. He was quite happy for the bunny to be left for a few days to see what mother nature might do, before operating at a cost of £120
So, have been trying for a couple of days to keep things lubicated and stretch/ massage the skin in the hope things will return to normal. The main problem is his penis is constantly erect, if it was not I think would stand a better chance of returning it to whence it came.

Anyone had any experience of this, then any advice gratefully recieved.

Crikey I would not want to be waiting a few days as the glans may become necrotic :shock:

Has the Vet prescribed any treatment to try to reduce swelling ?
Also, the condition is painful. Has Bun had analgesia ?

Did the Vet confirm that there is no foreign body under the foreskin ?

My friend said vet offered no meds.

The bun does not seem bothered by it at all, know of guinea pigs who have suffered this and they too, seemed to be unphased or in pain.
The penis looks healthy enough but obviously would like him back to normal.
No foreign body to be found.

One of my buns had this for several days as a result of mega-excessive humping (he's only little but he knows he's a man:lol:).

Do you think anything like that could have led to the condition or has the poor bun always been that way? Has he recently been bonded with a new partner?

No, this little bun has not been use for breeding and been living alone.

It just occurred a couple of days ago, a real mystery.

Wasn't aware that this was a sign of having uroliths (bladder stones).

And would of expected him to be showing discomfort etc. He had shown no signs of any problem before this problem happened.
His urine is normal, he is urinating normally, he has a litter tray so that I can monitor this.
His appetite is good and no-one would know he had a problem, less they flipped him on his back.

I have a Buck who developed paraphimosis as a result of 'bladder sludge'

Apparently using cold compresses on the penis can help reduce the prepuse.
Although I am sure many Bucks would not tolerate this and the stress of doing it may just cause more problems.

My Buck had surgery to correct the problem and flush out his bladder.

His urine and urinating is normal and no discomfort.

But did you buck show any other signs apart from the paraphimosis, as this is the problem he has no other signs of illness/pain or the cause.

His urine and urinating is normal and no discomfort.

But did you buck show any other signs apart from the paraphimosis, as this is the problem he has no other signs of illness/pain or the cause.

He had no other symptoms but his penis was very inflammed

That was a highly amusing post, but my bun not just been castrated and is not in any way over sexed, but cheered me up no end reading the posts.

He had no other symptoms but his penis was very inflammed

He is not inflamed, so maybe time will be the healer.
If no change soon it will be a trip back to vets, but not sure they very rabbit savvy

Glad you didn't think I was being flippant :oops: but I think you're right, if it persists, take him back. If you let us know which area you live in we might be able to recommend a rabbit-savvy vet in your area :)

Back