• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veterinary knowledge of rabbits-how to improve it?

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Since I lost my beloved Marley, I have become acutely aware of the difference in care that vets provide to pet rabbits. I know that there are some wonderful vets out there, but I feel that many more do are not 'interested' so to speak in Rabbit Medicine, that they do not receive enough training or themselves actively look to enhance their knowledge of small animal health.

I know that this has affected many of you and that there have been many threads about this - in particular a very recent one by Jack's-Jane.

I don't want Marley's life to have been in vain and I want to do everything I can to improve the situation-but I don't know where to start!

My first step has been making a formal complaint to the vet surgery in question and I have written to the RWAF to ask for the removal of the vet practice from their rabbit savvy list (this was how I found the vet which treated Marley) - but this is conditional on the RCVS deciding in my favour which I don't believe will happen as Marley died from GI stasis due to molar spurs which my local vet had overlooked, and I know that dental problems can be hard to spot blah blah blah.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to go from here and how we can try to improve things for our furry friends?

Ive no idea where you would even start, but wanted to say that i think its a great thing to be doing x

An RU member,'Santa', has already contacted the RCVS about this matter.
She sent the letter a few weeks ago but I dont know if she has received a reply.
So I would suggest you PM 'Santa'

xx

well done for pushing this one!

I'm lucky that both my bunnies are very healthy, and only see the vets for their neuturing and vaccinations.

But I've had big problems with my smaller pets, my hamsters and cavies. They have missed infections, which has required a second opinion, longer time in pain for my pet, and more vet costs. They've been unable to read the expensive blood tests they recommended cos they didn't know what a normal reading was. Didn't know what a normal blood sugar reading for my cavy was. Recommended overnight fasts for all 5 of the male cavies I had neutured in case they vomit (they can't vomit, anatomy doesn't allow them to, medical advice actually states that they fast for an hour beforehand and have their mouth flushed before the op to reduce risk of asperating into lungs), two did't make it through the op, one had bad infection (first two had no problems). This list could go on a lot longer.

We've tried three different vet practices, and had bad experiences with each one. The attitude seems to be that it would be cheaper to buy a new pet, rather then treat them. I know these vets have very good reputations with larger pets - cats, dogs, and the farm animals. But they seem to have no interest in the smaller pets.

Its wonderful to see them being challenged, best of luck!!!!

Good luck.

I am lucky to have found a good bunny savvy vet now and I have expressed my disappointment to him regarding some of the other vets in their practice and their lack of bunny knowledge. He is now transferring some of his experience which is good.

On a general note, before finding this vet, I have had a few animals that were not diagnosed early enough to save them and therefore I fully support any additional training. I know we have the internet and RU now so I am older and wiser.

Let me know if I can do anything.

I agree that we should be trying to take some action on this, as poor veterinary knowledge has affected a huge number of forum users, and I would be happy to be involved in any campaign.

Knowing where to start is by far the hardest bit!

It would be good to know what the oucome of the first RCVS letter has been, and then work together on a follow-up / identify other organisations to contact and lobby.

Back