• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are your buns like at the vets?

jenzel5

Mama Doe
I have just taken Hayden and Dudley for their myxi vacc and OMG. They are little :censored:. Keep in mind I work at the vets as a trainee vet nurse and am known as the rabbit lady. A vet and another nurse looked at them and just said, u's walk all over your mummy don't you! They do! Poor hayden was terrified though bless her and they were both shaking and breathing so heavy. They are home now and have chilled out and hayden even jumped on the couch with me so she can't be that cross with me. So how are your little ones at the vets?

Oscar is fine....took him to get his myxi on tuesday and he just sat there...had abit of fuss...and had his jab no probs.

I took mine last night for their VHD's and they were both ok. Even Misty who is normally quite timid was quite bolshy! I think it depends what mood they are in. Its like my dogs, sometimes they are good and other times they are bonkers when i take them!! animals are great and very unpredictable :lol:

I took mine for their Myxi on Saturday - They're so well behaved at the vets - Complete contrast to at home! :roll:

They both hate being picked up, and will lead me a right merry dance when trying to catch them to put them in the carrier - I've taken to shooing them in the bedroom part of their hutch, and putting the carrier over the door so they have no choice but to go in :lol::lol:

They then sit there in the carrier on the way to the vets giving me death stares. :shock:

As soon as we get in to the surgery, they're like butter wouldn't melt - Let the vets pick them up and handle them no problem - If I tried picking them up like that at home I'd get scratched to death!

Operation "Get bunnies in carrier" commences again next Thursday when they go back for their VHD jabs :rolleyes:

They so know how to show me up! :roll::roll::lol::lol::angel:

Toshi (resting at the bridge now) would love the vets.. he would sit on my lap in the waiting room, dogs didn't scare him and I never let one get too close.. but when all the big doggies had gone he would sit on the floor - have a mooch around whilst on his harness.. then leap back onto my lap when he had investigated enough! I will never forget the look on the one old ladies face when he stood on his back legs, and I said "Toshi Up" and up he leapt straight into my lap... her words were "I never realised a rabbit would do that"

Bless him - he used to enjoy the fuss off everyone too, he got so much attention being such a sweetie the staff at the vets all loved him - they thought he was such a funny little guy.

My other buns are; 2 x very shy and prefer to hide in the carry case, another one gets very stressed and I worry about him going into shock every time he goes in the car... so he goes on a harness then inside my jumper:) (he feels safer this way - his choice not mine!!)

The majority are calm and have their harness on, a blanket to hide under, and are interested in the things they can see... if there are dogs about they stay huddled in my arms with their blanket round them.. (by my choice) to avoid them getting stressed. I do sit over the other side from the dog owners and find they are all rather good when it comes to respecting my animals and not bringing their drooling pooch over to have a sniff of the bunny! Most sit away from us! (or maybe I smell of bunny poo :lol::lol:)

Although a lot of people disagree with my not using a carry case for my buns, non of them struggle, kick out or are so terrified that their behaviour is out of control. Non of my calmer buns get as stressed out with me holding them, as they do in a carry case. (otherwise I would chuck them in the carry case - it's easier!) I think they know I will keep them safe and find comfort from being held by me - rather than being in a carry case and spending an hour hyperventilating :D

Even the vets nurses and receptionists comment, "how come yours are all so good?!" The first time I heard this I couldn't understand what they meant - as none of my bunnies have ever been badly behaved at the vets (apart from Petunia when Simon tried to examine her teeth.. killer bunny alert!). But reading things on here does make me realise I am quite lucky!

EDIT.. My buns also jump of the vets table back into my arms given half the chance! (Which means lots of scratches for mommy) They have never been taught this.. but most of them do it :?

Last edited:
Smokey is an angel at the vets, she just does whatever she has to and never gets really upset.

Inky hates the vets with a passion and goes absolutely mental. He has a real fight or flight response in there. Consequently, I only take him if I am wearing a long sleeved and high necked top! It's weird though because he is better with some vets rather than others.

Two of mine (Harry & Simon) hate it! They go mental as soon as they're out of the carrier :(
Harry was fine until he had a bout of stasis over a year ago, since then he's terrified at the vets and constantly leaps into my arms and tries to get over my shoulder.
Simon never used to be too bad, but he's recently had snuffles so we've been at the vets quite a bit. We had an appointment on Tuesday and he spent most of it trying to leap over my shoulder... and he's a big boy! I've also got a lovely bite on my shoulder from him :roll:

It's horrible seeing them so scared.

The others get a little bit stressed and breath a little heavier than normal but otherwise they're ok.

In the vets own words "Your bunnies are the most nervous that come into the surgery" :roll: Talking about Fudge Skye and Gizmo!

They are fine when getting a jag but when he tries to pick them up or check their teeth they kick and jump and wriggle so much im sure the vet gets annoyed :lol:

They like having theyre own personal space :lol:

lollybe was never very keen on the vets, the first time he went he came back with no testicles (well you'd be miffed too).

barnsley isn't very happy either, i suspect i give off negative vibes as lollybe died during a routine dental and i hate going to the vets as well. the only good thing is that barnes has been instructed (by me) to draw blood from 12 year old vet at every opportunity ha ha ha! and he does, usually from scratching!

Eddison is known as "the little monster" at the vets. He throws such a fuss, grunting at the vet and trying to run and kick when she flips him to look at his teeth. He's such a brat! :lol:

Milo is much more subdued, but in a kind of "defeated" way.

I have to admit, as I am still gaining confidence in picking them up and handling them with a purpose when I have to do something, it's cool to see a trained vet do the things they do. Checking teeth, taking temps, checking ears. All so cool to me! :)

pearl pants and is really scared... tries to be as small as possible

alvin dont seem bothered until the vet touches him then he becomes a spring and jumps 6ft too get away :shock::shock::shock:

Last edited:
Sophie is fabby :D The vets love her as she just lies still, doesn't mind her teeth being checked or the actual jab :D

She's a good bunster :love:

domino and pebbles are well behaved. peanut is terible but thats fair enough considering the vet trips hes had.

Jelly... binkies around the vets floor when we pop her on the floor, and onces chewed a chiunk out of a rubber mat on the scales:oops:

Our two boys are little horrors, and usually try to make a bid for freedom at some point:roll: They either leap at me, or try to wriggle out of the vet's hold (they sometimes succeed) to get onto the floor! When they reach the floor they look all puzzled - you can see them thinking "My plan didn't get this far!":lol:

I think last time we went, it was Dill that jumped on me then burrowed into my cardi & I had to get my O/h to release him/me as he'd ended up in the small of my back!

In contrast, our foster bun thinks it's great. She even did a periscope while sat on the examination table!:lol:

um....

one vet refused to VHD rosie after she ran off the vet table 3 times
I have to hold hunny in my arms for her VHD which is great if the needle slips
Both Rosie & panda have to be burito'd if you want to do anything to them
Sooty bit me when he had his mixi

Other than that they are very well behaved :lol:

My are very scared at the vet, I'm sure they play dead. They just sit there not moving, let the vet do whatever they have to do, the sneak back into the box when its all over.

They are on their best behaviour :shock: Jess had her myxi vacc whilst she was in my arms, they go super cuddly too :)

hadrian vet

:wave:hi everyone! my buns are horrible little monstaars!!:lol: they try and bite you! they HATE HATE HATE the vets! x:?;)

Back