• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Genticin/Gentisone... Is this a mix up?!

busterandme

Warren Scout
Just about to give Bust his "eye" drops from the vet this afternoon.

Trouble is, I've just noticed the box is labelled Gentisone HC Ear drops. :shock:

Have they given me the wrong meds or does anyone know if it is dual purpose?! :?

gentisone is a brand name of drops, the drug in it is gentamicin....
I know cos i work in a pharmacy and gentisone is used in humans as well :)

Thanks xxx

Soo... can I put it in his eye?!

Gentamicin and hydrocortisone Acetate

No mention of eyes on the packaging or instructions

Has anyone else ever used this for eyes?

As far as i am aware genticin drops are for both eye/ear whereas gentisone hc is for ears (think it is to do with the hydrocortisone in it)
I could be wrong but i would double check if i were you, i've only ever heard of gentisone hc prescribed for ears, could have been dispensed in error - it happens!!! does the label printed by the vets say gentisone hc? and does it mention eyes?

Actually, don't worry. I won't feel happy giving it if I don't have 100% go ahead from the vet anyway. Thank you Claireb1, I'll be on the phone to my vet first thing xxxxxxx

As far as i am aware genticin drops are for both eye/ear whereas gentisone hc is for ears (think it is to do with the hydrocortisone in it)
I could be wrong but i would double check if i were you, i've only ever heard of gentisone hc prescribed for ears, could have been dispensed in error - it happens!!! does the label printed by the vets say gentisone hc? and does it mention eyes?

Oops... you beat me to it! :lol:

Yeah I will definately double check, the receipt and label say Genticin eye drops, the box says ears.

The receptionist wasn't very attentive actually, I wasn't too impressed with her. I know someone else who has complained about her too but I won't gossip :oops:

Thank you anyways xxxxx

Looks like it has been labelled correctly and dispensed wrong then! good job you looked thoroughly!!! This happens to humans too :(
( i have the job of dealing with errors and it's so common with drugs with similar names)
I dunno if it is the same for vets as us but any drug that does go to a patient in error has to be reported and recorded by us so the staff can learn from their mistake....hope that helps you...;);)

Last edited:
Thanks Claire, I've just got home with the right meds for him now... and he had thought he'd got out of having them :lol:

Now I just have to catch him...

You're welcome!:)
I was just going to ask how you had got on, good for you spotting the mistake!

Good luck with getting them where they should be now :lol:

Back