• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run mesh query

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I am making a run with my dad to attach to Big and Beig'es new abode. What size/thickness/type does the mesh have to be to be a fox proof as possible. I have a roll which I bought a while ago which is 13mm.

Have just read that Happy Hutch company use 19g

Rabswood

Last edited:
I am making a run with my dad to attach to Big and Beig'es new abode. What size/thickness/type does the mesh have to be to be a fox proof as possible. I have a roll which I bought a while ago which is 13mm.

Have just read that Happy Hutch company use 19g

Rabswood

19g is the minimum you really should think about using. The heavier the better really especially if you have foxes in the area or lots of cats that frequent your garden.

19g is fine if you're using 13mm square mesh.

Happy Hutch always say they use 19g mesh, but it always seems to be more lightweight than the other 19g mesh I've bought, and splits easily :?

I know I go on about this a lot but a fox chewed through my happy hutch mesh so i would certainly use heavier than that.

I don't know if anything is trul foxproof...just get the heaviest you can find.

i personally would not have less than 16g outside... i had 19g on my first chippie cage and it was way to flimsy.... id actually look for a 14g myself even tho it costs loads more

Oh I presumed that 19 was stronger stuff than 16 :?

Will have a look in the shop, obviously I want something as safe as possible, don't want Big and Beige getting eaten by Mr Fox :shock:

Rabswood

I have no idea about the mesh...but I would also recommend covering the hutch and run over night...with tarpaulin - gives you that extra bit of piece of mind :wave:

Oh I presumed that 19 was stronger stuff than 16 :?

Will have a look in the shop, obviously I want something as safe as possible, don't want Big and Beige getting eaten by Mr Fox :shock:

Rabswood

19g i only 1mm thick wire (i think) 16 g is 1.6mm, 15g is 1.8mm and i think 14g is 2mm :D

ignore the pets :oops::oops:

this pic is the 19g (see how bendy it is)
P4270018.jpg

this pic is 16g... solid (14g is stronger but i cant imagine a fox getting thro the 16g without hurting its mouth)
DSC00986.jpg

hope this helps :wave::wave:

im honestly not a mesh nerd :oops::oops: but that looks like the one i have now so at a guess id say 16g my one cost about £30 a roll and it has 20mm sq holes :D

Ahh cool thanks very much :D I have also put it on both sides of the wood to make it even harder to get into/break out of!

We use 19G x 1", but two layers of it offset by 1/2" in each direction, so if mr fox made it through one layer he'd have to go through it all again to get to the buns.

We got the mesh from Animal Kingdom on ebay (search for them in e-bay shops - £33 + £10 P&P for 30m). When we worked out what we needed it was cheaper to use 2 layers of 19G than 1 layer of 16G as we would have had a lot of mesh left on the roll.

I would also add that we've gone through 2 sets of wire cutters on the 19G, thicker wire (16G/14G) would be a nightmare to cut.

Colin (Kate's other half!)

Thanks for all info. Goodness this run building thing is a minefield :shock:

I have found this very helpful.

Rabswood

Back