• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead Lops...

drbabbers

New Kit
All,

I hope this is the right place for me to ask this type of thing. :)

I am looking at buying a lionhead lop rabbit for my partner and was wondering if anyone can recommend a shop or breeder in the Essex area? I didn't have much luck with Google and this was the 1st forum I found. :)

Thanks in advance.

D

You should be able to find a lionhead lop in rescue. I got mine at 8 weeks old from a local rescue and he is gorgeous! Personally I wouldn't buy from a shop or breeder. :)

Magic+042009JPG.jpg

Hello :wave:

I can't say that I have had many good experiences with pet store animals, and have heard some absolutely horrific tales about rabbits coming straight from breeders - I am not really near your neck of the woods - so I can't speak for those in your area (if there are any?!)

I am sure your partner would be more delighted and find it very rewarding to have a rescue bunny as a companion - knowing the they have given an unloved unwanted bunny a loving home where they are cherished.

Rescue bunnies are already vet checked, neutered and vaccinated, so you don't have these worries on top of the initial finding a rabbit. The rescue can also give you an idea of the rabbit's personality etc as they spend the time with them getting to know them and giving them a lot of attention - compared to petshops for example.

Personally I have found that giving my money to a rescue centre, in the form of an adoption fee, is money better spent on helping other needy bunnies - rather than it going to a breeder or petshops profits.

There are lots of rescue centres on the rabbitrehome.org.uk page, from which this forum derives.

If you unsure as to whether to continue on going down the petshop or breeder route, maybe you could read through some of the threads on here to help you make up your mind? If you are dead set on using a breeder etc perhaps there is someone on here who is local to you - who can advise

Good Luck in finding a lovely bun :wave:

You should be able to find a lionhead lop in rescue. I got mine at 8 weeks old from a local rescue and he is gorgeous! Personally I wouldn't buy from a shop or breeder. :)

Magic+042009JPG.jpg

I agree. Is it a pair you are after or a single to go with another bunny that you have? If it's to go with your other bun you will need to get it neutered before the rescue will let you take it.

All,

I hope this is the right place for me to ask this type of thing. :)

I am looking at buying a lionhead lop rabbit for my partner and was wondering if anyone can recommend a shop or breeder in the Essex area? I didn't have much luck with Google and this was the 1st forum I found. :)

Thanks in advance.

D

Whereabouts in Essex are you anyway? Anywhere near the Hertfordshire border? If so I know of a couple of rescues there that have quite a lot of buns for adoption.

Thank you for all the helpful replies and messages! :)

After reading your posts, I am interested in the rescue approach to buying a lionhead lop. I am based near Southend On Sea in Essex! Can anyone recommend anything near to me?

Also this rabbit will be on their own. Just going for the 1.

Thanks again.
D

Last edited:

After reading your posts, I am interested in the rescue approach to buying a lionhead lop. I am based near Southend On Sea in Essex! Can anyone recommend anything near to me?

Thanks again.
D

There are a few Essex people around so I'm sure they can recommend somewhere. I would advise however that you hold off buying/building any sort of accommodation until you have spoken to the rescue you intend to use as different rescues have slightly different expectations for housing sizes. Also, a rescue may insist that you get a pair if they are going to be outdoor buns as they need company preferably of their own kind.

Good luck! So glad you have decided the rescue route is worth checking out.

Starlights Rabbit Rescue is in Essex, the girl who runs it is a member of this forum.

Here is some more info:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/rescue.asp?Rescue=476

You could visit the rescue and meet all the bunnies, and maybe you find one that you like.

Are you looking for a house bunny or will it live outside? There are many good ideas for hutches and cages on this forum, to give the bunnies a good space to live in. Most pet shop hutches are much too small unfortunately. If your partner has a rabbit already, the rescue could help you with bonding it with another bunny. Rabbits should live in pairs, as they are very social animals.

I foster for a rescue in south-west London, so that's probably too far from you. But my first rescue rabbit came all the way from northwest England, with the help of some forum members who did a bunny run for me. :)

Also this rabbit will be on their own. Just going for the 1.

Thanks again.
D

Any reason why you just want the one? Rabbits, like people, are usually much happier when they have a friend :)

Back