• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis injections

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I have four of my bunnies booked in for myxi injections tomorrow afternoon.
My parents don't believe in the injections, therefore i have to pay for everything (which is fair enough really). But they keep moaning at me.

My mum just told my dad we have them booked in and i overheard him say oh they'll be dead in a couple of weeks then! I don't know why she's bothering with it. :evil::cry:

My parents think myxi injections kill bunnies, they think Tyler died from the myxi injection - which is bull:censored:

But they've got me feeling guilty for trying to help my animals, if anything does happen to them i'll never forgive myself :cry:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's your money so you can do as you please!
My sister doesn't vaccinate her rabbits either, and no amount of telling her will change her mind. :?

Just to let you know, it's national vaccination month next month, last year if you paid for one mxyi vacc you got the next one free. Saves a lot of money if you have multiple rabbits and vaccinate every six months. You need to ring around local vets and see who is taking part.

Well i have 12 to vaccinate, so it would be helpful!! But not sure if our vets are willing to offer a discount, can't hurt to ask though!

Bunnies don't just die from having injections though, do they? I haven't had a bunny die due to injections before but my parents are convinced they will die :?

I had 2 buns when i was little and they were vaccinated and lived to be 8yrs and 12yrs. I would imagine the mixy jab is like all others, it contains the illness as so to build up immunity, but im not an expert. I personally think vaccinations are a must to keep our little loved ones healthy and happy

If your rabbits are in good health then the myxo vaccine is a must imo.
There have been lots of buns on here that have contracted myxo, but have managed to survive because they were vaccinated.
An unvaccinated rabbit stands no chance against this horrible disease:(

Well i have 12 to vaccinate, so it would be helpful!! But not sure if our vets are willing to offer a discount, can't hurt to ask though!

Bunnies don't just die from having injections though, do they? I haven't had a bunny die due to injections before but my parents are convinced they will die :?

If your vets aren't willing to offer a discount PM me as the vets I work at is doing them half price! x

If they get ill from the vaccination then yes it's bad but you tried to protect them. If they die from myxi because you didn't get them done how much worse would you feel?

I vaccinate mine every 6 months even though there is no way a wild bun can get into my garden but i don't want to take the risk of a cat getting in and having even a single infected flea on it. You stick with what you feel is right and ignore the people who have no clue.

Good luck at the vets. :wave:

Hello Lillian. You are doing the right thing by getting your bunnies vaccinated. I never believed in the myxi vaccinations because I live miles away from fields and wild rabbits. But much to my dismay my rabbit Lucky got Myxomatosis last month and I had to have him put to sleep :cry: I was very lucky that my other rabbit Misty who lived in the same hutch as him didnt get it too. She has now been vaccinated against Myxi and also against VHD and she didnt bat an eyelid at the jabs. She is a nervous rabbit and doesnt like being handled much and the jabs didnt phase her at all. x

don't worry your doing the right thing, i just got ted done there and she hardly flinched and just seemed normal after it, plus the vets gav me discont cos it was a boaster. they charged me £22 and it's normally between £25-£28good luck with all your buns, thats a fair amount you need done.

You're definitely doing the right thing and definitely ask if they can do you any sort of discount too. I have 13 vaccinated at a time and my vet try and give me as much discount as they can x

Back